Saturday 14 July 2018

Mostly Duke Street

I started another St Helens Saturday in the Lamb:
Saint Helens continues to surprise and having nipped into the Lamb for a quick lager because my GBG target doesn't open until one, I was startled to see six handpumps.  I had a pint of something from Coach House, I didn't like it much but that's down to my preferences rather than any fault with the beer, I think.

The inside is rather fine, very well decorated with a few original-looking features in the partially knocked through lounge side, the bar looks good as well.

A handful of other customers, none on the cask, were just about keeping the place ticking over.

I strolled on to the Good Beer Guide listed News Room:
Bugger!  It opens at three, not one as shown on whatpub.  Don't you just hate it when that happens!  Oh well, their loss.

I headed back towards the centre, to tick off some of the other places on Duke Street, starting with Perry's Bar:
A plain clean and tidy corridor bar with no-one but me present.  Eventually I realised the landlord was grovelling behind the bar sorting something out.  He soon jumped up and served me a cool pint of fizz.

Not my sort of place, giant speakers in a small room, no-where to sit down, but I bet it's buzzing on a Saturday night.

The landlord continued sorting out behind the bar, undisturbed by other customers, while I watched Goodnight Sweetheart and then Are You Being Served? on the telly.  I tried to pretend I wasn't interested but couldn't resist smiling.

Just next door is the Green Room:
Another plain, clean and tidy shop conversion, wider than Perry's and with a lighter friendlier interior, and more customers - At least five plus me.

My pint of Carling was a remarkable £1.90 which probably explains why there were more people in!

The TVs here were showing racing but I don't think anyone was watching.

The bar front is covered in posters for music performances here.  Have they got a hall out the back or do these happen in the small room in which I was sitting?  Judging by the picture I would have thought the Cheese Puff Death Squad (!!!) could fill the whole room with no space for an audience!  I guess I'll have to come back on a Saturday evening to find out.  Maybe.

I can't say why but I really liked this place, at this time on a Saturday it's a friendly local's boozer with a cheerful landlady looking after everyone.  As I neared the bottom of my pint she asked if I wanted another before disappearing out the back for something.

Just a couple of doors further down is the Kazbar:
This unusual 60s construction used to be a furniture warehouse.  Inside the curved glazed frontage is a small pleasant one room boozer, very bright and airy.  Upstairs is a sports area according to the sign (Pool, darts, dominoes) or you can sit in the sunshine outside.

A dozen drinkers were keeping the place going, plus a family outside.  Best music so far today, the Eagles were followed by Gerry Rafferty.

Another pleasantly comfortable place with friendly cheerful happy locals and staff.

I had wondered if today's England World Cup match would interfere with this trip, but as kick-off time passed no-one seemed inteterested and the tellies in here continued to show racing.  Shortly after I'd typed that, a few minutes after kick-off, someone put in a request and the channel was changed to show the game, and moments later Belgium were 1-0 up.  The bloke next to me had a bet on for 3-1 to Belgium, I think he's in with a chance!

Next door is the Breeze:
A large airy light open room was busy with drinkers and football fans, I even saw one bloke with a St George's Cross in his hair.  The match was on and most were watching, pleasingly the commentary was loud but not deafening.

Way more customers than anywhere else I've visited today, and still plenty of room for more.  I bet this place does well later on, the sign says open until 5 am!  I'm too old for that sort of night out nowadays.

What am I saying?  I've always been too old for 5 am!  When I lived in Pittsburgh, if you knew where to go you could drink right through the night and finish with a lager and breakfast, but I never managed that.

A steady flow of customers kept the place much busier than anywhere else I'd been today, while England completely failed to respond to Belgium's early goal.

So, that leaves the News Room on its own in this corner of St Helens, reducing their chance of a visit any time soon.  Serves 'em right, what kind of a pub isn't open at one o'clock on a Saturday?

Maybe next:  Gateacre and Smithdown Road

No comments:

Post a Comment