It is five years and a day since I last surveyed Newton-le-Willows, making all the pubs there "required", so off I headed on a beautifully sunny Saturday afternoon.
I walked along the main street photographing all the targets as I passed. Do you think the photos today will be better than the usual standard of this blog, because they were all taken sober? I doubt it!
At the far end is the Oak Tree so I started there:
Many years ago this one had a "rustic" interior, I seem to recall, plain but pleasant now. I also noticed, outside, that it has lost its Greene King branding.
No real ale apparently, so I thought I'd try the (in)famous Hawkstone lager, Jeremy Clarkson's brew. I've only read bad things about it but I wanted to try it for myself. I'm only five years behind everyone else! Anyway, it has a touch more flavour than a Carling, perhaps, maybe it's a little sweet for my taste? Not worth the £6.60 I paid, anyway!
As I drank, the barman/landlord started pulling through one of the handpumps, so I guess they do have cask ales sometimes. Too late for my visit, though.
The pub was ticking over gently but I'm not sure the was enough custom to justify three bar staff and presumably a chef. Some of the regulars were a little shouty, but nothing to complain about really. The menu of pub standards looks ok, fish and chips at £12.50 is quite a good price nowadays - it costs nearly that much in my local chippy.
Next, one I didn't know about until I walked past, Drinkworthy:
No draft beers in this bottle shop/bar but there is a comfortable drinking area where one can enjoy one of their extensive range of bottled and canned beers, or wines.
I selected Kasteel Rouge which was very good, of course. Served in a Kasteel glass as it should be. As I enjoyed my cherry beer I scanned the shelves more carefully. Wow, Rochefort 6,8, or 10, Delirium Tremens or Red, Lindeman's Kreik or Cassis, some proper German rauchbier, umpteen tasty looking cans from multiple UK breweries including local Glen Affric. I think I need to come here with a large shopping bag and get some stock for home. But not today.
Four other customers were enjoying their drinks, three on wine, one on beer. I wondered how the wine works if you only want a glass - One couple were on their second bottle so no problem there.
I came here having noticed this place on my way up to the Oak Tree. Coming back from there I passed the Willow & Ram and saw people outside with beers, so maybe that's another one I need for a first tick. I doubled back:
This pleasant cafe bar is nicely decorated, I like the 1930s lampshades, the glitter ball doesn't really match but altogether it is very good. I wonder what the odd name is about.
I had Damm Complot session IPA, which the internet tells me is a 6% IPA brewed by Damm in Spain. The first mouthful was very thin after the Kasteel, the second was flavoursome and a little fruity, rather good. It came in the correct glass.
I noticed I hadn't paid yet so perhaps this isn't a bar, in the strictest rules? On the other hand I couldn't see any food, nor menus. The other six customers were sitting outside, I was the only one inside. As I enjoyed my IPA some food went outside, so it's not all drink here.
A sign said "We are cashless! Cash tips still welcome".
Now my plans are in a mess, I had aimed to tick all the pubs so I wouldn't need to come again for another five years, but finding two new ones leaves me with a problem, as I don't think I can cope with seven pints. Mind you, two brand new ticks and a gorgeous Belgian beer means I'm not complaining. Maybe I should take it easy and then come back later for some more visits?
Anyway, on to the Pied Bull:
The outside part at the front was packed in the warm weather, but inside it was relatively quiet. The only pump clip provided me with a fine pint of Landlord.
The staff were busy serving outside customers, although most of those came in to fetch their own orders. Do they do food in here? I didn't see any but that doesn't prove anything.
My thoughts drifted. If the weather was wet everyone would want to be inside and so it would be packed. It must be difficult for a pub to decide how many staff to call in, presumably some of them are on zero hours contracts and only get paid if the weather is good.
I checked the trains going home, I'm cutting it fine for the next one, ah but it is running fifteen late so should be a comfortable connection after all.
I have done a few surveys recently where I can't remember the details of the last pub, including one recent occasion where the notes I make as I go just tailed off mid sentence. Thus, I am quite pleased to only do four today, and leave the others for a subsequent trip. I've got the idea of something special in Drinkworthy followed by the remaining three ticks here, that would be a good day out. Maybe quite soon...
I re-checked my train home. Cancelled. Can I repeat my complaint that nationalising the trains has only resulted in worse service? I'm stranded unless I cough up for an Uber. So, contrary to the plan from just a few moments ago, I might as well carry on drinking...
Across the road is the Firkin:
This is a rather fine example of the "micro pub", and on a Saturday afternoon it is popular but not packed. About eight hand pulled ales on, I selected a gorgeous vanilla stout from Brass Castle.
The bar was busy but, as I say, not packed, everyone else seemed to be a regular. Too many dogs, but that's just my preducice.
What a surprise, the next train home is already showing as late, even though it hasn't started moving yet, the service here really is useless. I wonder if it will actually turn up? (And, more importantly, actually stop and let me get on.) The problem with knowing a little about railway operations is that I could see "my" train heading into Manchester Airport, shortly after it was supposed to leave, so I already knew there would be a problem. But would they skip my stop, like the one an hour ago, or would I actually get a ride home? Annoyingly, I can't claim compensation because I get these trips for free anyway. "Only" eight minutes late, my desired train headed out from Manchester Airport, so perhaps I will get home before too long? Aha! The stops between the airport and Manchester Piccadilly are cancelled, so it should be closer to being on time ... maybe ...
While I waited grumpily for my train, I enjoyed the cheerful atmosphere of this excellent bar. The umpteen customers all seemed happy, what more could one ask?
So, I headed for home, leaving Newton-le-Willows with just the Stocks and the Kirkfield overdue for a visit. Five required ticks, two brand new, is a good crop.
Beer of the day: Kasteel Rouge
Miles walked: 1.5
Merseyside pubs visited in the last five years: 1,019
Maybe coming soon: Undecided.





No comments:
Post a Comment