Perhaps a sunny Saturday in August is not the best time for a survey in central Liverpool but here we are! According to my database I haven't been in the Lime Kiln for five years and three days. Surely it's not that long, but anyway it is always worth a visit so let's start there:
A great way to start a survey, a fine pint of Kirkstall Dissolution, a slightly fruity IPA. Needless to say the place was very busy, but not completely packed and I got a table in a quiet (ish) corner.
I noticed my Wetherspoon shares are creeping upwards in value, well deserved in my opinion as they continue to provide good beer at great prices (My pint was £1.90 with a CAMRA voucher). It seems odd to me that no other chain manages to compete with them, it's not as if the formula is complex or secret.
Across the way is what used to be the never visited Modo, I think, and there was also the Kiosk which was underneath if I recall correctly from my 1998 visit. Now it is DeLuca's:
The terrace in front was doing a great trade but always the contrarian I headed inside to the the beautifully done out and totally deserted interior. My pint of Staropramen came unexpectedly in a standard conic, usually places that sell it have the correct glass. £7.50!
I was interested to note that my contactless payment appeared as Modo on my phone. I am responsible for online payments for an organisation (nothing to do with pubs) and I had thought that my failure to correct the message that appears on customers' statements was my fault, but perhaps not.
The outside facing counter was busy, with three staff kept busy, my side was quiet and no one else sat inside. Some people on the terrace were getting waiter/ress service, I saw a tray of about a dozen shots of something red go out.
At this point today's lack of planning revealed itself, where next? I wandered randomly for a while, noting that Red Door has reverted to one of its older names; Black Horse and Rainbow. But I was only in there last year so a visit is not really required yet.
My next move was to the Grapes, similarly not required but I went in anyway:
Always a favourite, this one. A quick scan of the pumps and I selected Neptune's Black Cherry Stout, which turned out to be superb.
I took my seat in a quiet corner and watched as umpteen customers came in and out, the place was certainly doing a good trade. There were clearly some groups of blokes on pub crawls, suddenly filling the place up. Nonetheless, the seats in my corner remained vacant. A number of people ignored the "no drinks outside at any time" sign, I hope that doesn't put the licence at risk.
Next, back to Berry Street, and what's this? Chamber Thirty Six. Didn't I go in one called that in Wavertree?
Clearly aimed at the dining customer, but the waitress was happy to pour me a pint of Asahi and give me a small table by the counter. I didn't pay for it immediately, she "opened a tab" for me. So maybe it doesn't count as a bar?
The decor was Chinese in style but not over the top, I really liked it.
I think the other place with the same name, in Wavertree, is now closed? At least, that's what my database says.
I paid for my pint, £6.20, and headed out. Over the road is the Petit Cafe du Coin which used to be the Whitehouse:
Definitely an up market sort of place, and another one where I got a pint without immediately paying, but nonetheless a very pleasant bar.
My Estrella Galacia came in the proper glass, of course. The other options were Asahi and Staropramen.
As I drifted into an alcohol induced haze (and I've only had four and a half pints so far) I must say I really liked this one. Busy but not packed, as long as I remember I haven't paid yet I'll be OK.
Finally, a tick I had wanted to do for some time, the Royal Institution Bar:
To be honest, I had wondered if this was a members only sort of place, it was unclear on their website, but I just walked in, entered a small nicely decorated room on the right and immediately had a pint of Mahou, and paid six quid. Google says this is brewed in Spain.
No one else was in, at four o'clock, perhaps it's a bit early for the cocktail crown. I was pleased to have paid my £6.00 immediately. I still need to explore and to find where the gents is.
Good grief, is this six pints? Surely not! There are other spaces in the building, but either I didn't explore, or I don't remember what I found. Definitely time for home.
Beer of the day: Neptune Black Cherry Stout
Miles walked: 1.8
Merseyside pubs visited in the last five years: 1,018
Maybe coming soon: Newton-le-Willows







No comments:
Post a Comment