Off to Allerton Road today hoping to pick up a few overdue and new ticks. I started in the Tavern Co, last visited way back in 1999:
This one looks more like a restaurant from outside which is probably why I haven't been in for so long. But once inside there is a "bar" end and I was welcome to buy a pint of Shipyard at the counter and sit at a small table in a room which was not laid out for dining. I could even have sat at the counter if I preferred.
Compared with my vague reflections from 27 (wow) years ago I think they may have expanded into neighbouring premises since then? The decor in the bar end is very pleasant with wood panelling and miscellaneous bric-a-brac.
There was (silent) football on the telly, it looks like Man U are not doing well!
I wandered down the road looking for a safe place to cross as my next objective was just over the road. But I found Pablinos which I didn't know existed, it would be rude not to go in.
Rather well done white and grey decor in here, and everything was decorated for a 21st party later. I wondered if this place was functions only but the friendly barmaid/landlady was happy to pour me a lager. She said they'd done a thirteenth birthday yesterday and had a ninetieth coming up, so a great age range. She didn't say what time today's do starts, I fear I'll stick out like a sore thumb if they start arriving!
No other customers at two on a Saturday afternoon so I'm guessing their main income is functions, it was good of the her to serve me a beer. It was Modelo, by the way.
I looked around. There's something rather special about the decor, all black and white and grey. Someone has some design talent.
Next, I crossed the road as originally planned, to visit Leaf:
Rather fun quirky decor in here, mixing greenery and cable trays.
More of a restaurant, this one, I had to sit down and then order my pint of Poretti. Almost everyone was eating, I think, but there were also plenty of empty tables so they weren't going to turn down a sale of a pint of lager. (For which, I reminded myself, I hadn't yet paid.)
There was a steady flow of customers in and out, keeping the waitresses busy. The food looked good, I must say.
I was somewhat irritated to see a card on the table advertising Christmas parties. In August??!! I have grumbled in the past about pubs advertising Christmas dos in September, I think this breaks the record. I turned the card round to discover they were trying to sell parties in January to March 2027. Good grief, talk about wishing your life away.
Where next? At the other end of the road is Memo's, but is it just a restaurant?
Another one that is, perhaps, on the restaurant side of the line, but once again perfectly willing to sell me a pint of Efes. In the correct glass.
Bloody hell, I can see their Christmas Day menu on display, clearly the year is nearly over! My mind took a random wander: Actually, as someone who will be spending his Christmas alone, I wonder if maybe I should come to somewhere like this. How would I get here? I think it would have to be a walkable distance on that day. Perhaps one of my local restaurants would be better? I seriously think that might be a good idea, in 65 years I've never eaten out on Christmas day but I'm not going to rule it out. Oh, wait, I was working in Dubai one year, and I dined in a Thai restaurant on Christmas day, I think.
Anyway, back to Memo's. A very well done room, decor wise, I don't know what to say, it's just attractive. The way the staff were interacting with the customers was very good. I think if I lived near here I would be booking my Christmas dinner! And coming here on a regular basis.
Finally, on to Dead Crafty Beer Company:
I've done the branch in town a couple of times, they seem to specialise in weird strong ones, and this one is just the same.
I selected, er, I forget what, something fruity and sour, oh my goodness it had the texture of porridge, really thick, creamy sweet and fruity - Fantastic. I got up and re-checked the beer menu, it is Azvex MANA. So thick and tasty, more like a meal than a drink. I pity the poor cellarman who has to clean the pipes after this one!
Leaving the beer aside for a moment, this is a small shop conversion with about sixteen keg taps offering a splendid range of unusual beers. I must say I did wonder whether someone just wanting an "ordinary" beer would be able to get a drink they liked in here.
Azvex MANA. Pow!!! Definitely time for home, if it counts as beer (more like a fruit smoothie) that was beer of the day, perhaps beer of the year? Four places never before visited, and the other dated from 1999, that's a really good result.
Miles walked: 1.6
Merseyside pubs visited in the last five years: 1023
Maybe coming soon: Old Swan





No comments:
Post a Comment