Wednesday 17 July 2024

Sunlight on Bebington

Technically not a pub research trip today, just a few pubs with friends on a pleasantly sunny afternoon.  We headed to Port Sunlight and the historic Bridge Inn:

We eschewed the only cask (Greene King IPA) and had Neck Oil here.

Last time I was here I sat in the other side, I seem to recall, but that is now the restaurant area, so we settled in the comfortable bar side (Where you can also dine.) of this beautiful pub/hotel.

The standard Flaming Grill menu was selling well, fish and chips was £9.39

Next, we headed under the railway to Bebington to visit the Rose And Crown:

Another beauty, this multi-roomed place is a Thwaites house serving their own beers and guests.  We had Thwaites Gold, which was very good. 

It was pretty quiet in here at half three on a Wednesday, but I noticed a number of tables reserved for later so it obviously gets busier.

I see they have live music every Saturday.

Just up the road is the Wellington:

Another pleasant pub, this time run by Greene King.  Sadly, no cask was on so we had Hazy Day, a very tasty pale one from GK.

Again ticking over gently but not at all busy. 

Time to double back to the four o'clock opening Collaboration, a new one for me:

This is number 1,499 on my all time list of visited Merseyside pubs, and it's a good 'un.  An excellent micro pub where we enjoyed a fine pint of Farm Yard Sheaf, which has Citra hops in its delicious recipe.  A standard shop conversion, pretty busy with a mixed crowd at five o'clock.  By the time we left there were people standing because all the seats were occupied.

I am hoping to make number 1,500 something special but I fear it won't match this gem.  I guess I'll just take things as they come.  It could be this week!

Having exhausted my list of targets in this part of Bebington, we decided to head back to Birkenhead.  I attempted to lead the party back to the station via a short cut which doesn't exist so we ended up going the long way round.  I have submitted a correction to Google Maps.

Back in Birkenhead a quick visit to Wetherspoon's Brass Balance was called for.  Here we selected Bishops Farewell from Oakham, a great beer to finish our afternoon out.

This place is always busy and popular and today was no exception, but there were still plenty of places for us to find a table.

Pub of the day: Collaboration
Beer of the day: Oakham Bishops Farewell
Miles walked: 1.9
Maybe coming soon: Cantril Farm, Prenton, Southport, Birkenhead

No comments:

Post a Comment