Saturday 6 July 2024

Cains Brewery Village

The poor weather made my plan with a long walk rather unattractive, so instead today a train and a bus carried me to Cains Brewery Village where there are a number of outlets not visited since 2018 and, I hope, a couple of new ones as well. 

I started in the beautiful Brewery Tap:

On Wednesday I was chatting to a pal about beer quality and I said it was a long time since I'd had an off pint.  So inevitably my very next pint of cask, Beartown Glacier, was somewhat "on the turn" here.  I probably should have rejected it.  Another customer took back a pint of Madri and it was promptly replaced by a Staropramen.  Does that mean all the beer is awful?

The gorgeous interior is unchanged since my last visit, and the pub was doing a decent trade despite the cold weather.  Multiple conversations mixed with "grunt-bonk-bonk-bonk-bonk-applause-thirty-forty".  

Next, a new one, Cains Brewery:

One fairly small room with bare brick walls, I don't think I've been in here before.  Completely deserted at two o'clock, just two bar staff and me. 

Four handpumps on the counter but no clips, I think the small brewery which can be seen behind the servery is currently idle, which is a shame as their recreation of Cains FA was superb.

Gosh, two more customers! I glanced down at my tablet and when I looked up they had disappeared.  Maybe sitting outside?  Then another one, and he stayed. 

Looking out of the door I could see plenty of people walking up and down the street, so at least some parts of the complex must be busier.  It's a bit early for footie fans to be bagging their places, the match starts at five.  No tellies in here so this one will be a football free zone, I guess. 

Baltic Market:

This one is a giant busy food hall, I got a pint of Dortmunder from the bar and sat at the corner of one of the bench tables.  Lots of food was coming out from all of the little kitchens, very tempting I must say. 

This is where all the people I'd seen on the street have ended up, the place is packed. 

Definitely not a "pub" but somehow I like this place.  All you have to do is sit at a bench and order food and drink on your phone, and it magically appears.  My idea of heaven! 

Platform 89:

Another one new to me, once again a smallish bar; this time it seems to aim at live music or maybe karaoke, there's a large table with microphones and a big mixing desk.  And some enormous speakers.

Modern decor in here, nicely done with a "black sparkle" counter front. 

The cheerful barmaid quickly left her chat to serve me a pint of Madri, in a plastic glass.  The weather has put everyone off, she said - There were only two other customers.  Another footie-free one, this.

No one else arrived or departed while I swigged my beer. 

Finally, the Tank Room:

I seem to recall the special feature of this outlet was proper Czech lager from a large tank.  No longer the case, the special tanks are out of action although still present.  So I chose the always tasty Neck Oil.

Quirky fun decor in here, once again I like it, but it's a shame the tanks are no longer in use. 

Custom was gently ticking over.

Amusing sight of the day:  Two women ordered a large quantity of shots, I guessed there was a gang of them outside.  One was left with four or five of those little thimbles to carry, and to ensure she didn't spill any she took a sip out of each one!  Don't worry, I won't tell.  (Except here)  Of course, it's equally possible that there was no "gang" and all the shots tasted were hers, but my version is more fun, I think.

Five ticks, two new ones, time for home I think.  My total is now 1,497, we're getting close!

As I departed I passed the building which was a nightclub-style place called Black Pearl when I was here in 2022.  It is now called BOXPARK and according to their website it is a large "events space" surrounded by food and drink counters.  At four o'clock there was a long queue of people waiting to get in, presumably wanting to watch the football.

Pub of the day: Brewery Tap
Beer of the day: Neck Oil
Miles walked: 0.75
Maybe coming soon: Cantril Farm, Bebington, Prenton, Southport

No comments:

Post a Comment