Friday 26 July 2024

Birkenhead

Foolishly I allowed a negative weather forecast to dissuade me from the intended rural stroll, so instead I headed for Birkenhead, where a number of overdue ticks have rather crept up on me.  I started in the Waterloo:

This pub is something of a backstreet beauty.  The two sided layout has had some knocking through over the years but it is still two separate rooms with two counters.  At least I think that's the case, a mirrored bar back meant I could see another counter but it was just a reflection. 

The two beautifully polished handpumps are purely decorative, I think, so I enjoyed my usual Carling. 

Excellent traditional decor in here, varnished matchboarding below the dado, cream paint above.  Bench seats along one wall.  Everything is well maintained and I think the word I'm looking for is immaculate.  Well done! 

A handful of regulars were in the side I chose, chatting and playing the fruit machines. 

Another one for my collection of witty notices:  If you're waiting for a sign THIS IS IT.

Next, the George and Dragon:

Another well done traditional boozer perhaps not as beautiful as the last one, but a lot busier with about two dozen customers of all ages enjoying lager and chatter.

The cheerful friendly barmaid knew every order before it was asked, a mark of skill indeed.  She was kept busy pouring drinks almost continuously.

There was a group of "lads" in one corner who I thought looked a bit suspect, but I think that was just me.  They did nothing to justify my prejudices, and departed in a taxi at the same time as I left.

On to the Firemans Arms:

Here I found myself in a rather pretty room, the feature catching my eye was the (plastic) flower arrangements on the tables.  Not as busy as the George but still doing well with a number of conversations creating the soundtrack as I relaxed with another Carling. 

Maybe the weather forecast wasn't so wrong after all, it was raining as I departed the Firemans.  Luckily, only a short walk to the next target, a new tick which I had noticed last week on the way past, Future Yard:

This used to be a night club called @75 (Which didn't half make a mess of the index in the book as my software hadn't taken account of names beginning with symbols!)  It has been redone as a rather odd bar cum music venue.  I selected something tasty from the small range of craft ales, all locally sourced.  £5.60 was a bit much after three Carlings all well under four quid.

A number of weirdos were hanging about but I was the only person who bought a beer while I was here.  It's hard to describe the place fairly, it was totally devoid of atmosphere because I was the only customer.  I imagine later on, with some music and some music fans it will be lively.

Anywhere with a "gender neutral and accessible toilet" has to be suspect, I think. Didn't stop me using it, though.  They've slipped up, surely it should be "composting" and/or flushed by rainwater as well?

Oh well, it is good to get bar number 1,501 so I can write "over 1,500" in the description of the next edition of the book.  I had hoped for another new one around here, Bar 36 claims to open at 12 on a Friday but it wasn't, so I'll probably never do that one. 

I headed for the Lion, which spent a time as Monkeys Nuts but seems to have reverted to its previous name.  Curses, it's shut.  Next on my list was Sue's but this is now a burger place which intriguingly has a licence application in the front window, but it's not open now.  At this point I said a rude phrase and headed towards home.

I got as far as Lime Street only to find a string of cancellations so after considering sitting on a stationary train for twenty minutes I decided on a visit to Wetherspoon's North Western, where despite it being packed I was quickly served a pint of Nottingham Citra, which was the beer of the day by a big margin. 

This branch of my favourite pub chain is always busy, an amazing quantity of drinkers and diners keeping the staff working hard, and yet still they provided prompt and efficient service and excellent ales.  

Finally, a second attempt to find a train home, this time it was running.  I have a number of activities planned which will keep me busy over the next few weekends, so don't panic if I disappear for a while.  Rest assured I will be visiting lots of pubs, but they might not be in Merseyside and they might not be blogged.

Pub of the day: Waterloo (Fireman's a very close second)
Beer of the day: Nottingham Citra
Miles walked: 0.9
Maybe coming soon: Southport, Cantril Farm, Greasby

2 comments:

  1. Future Yard is an excellent live music venue with all kinds of acts on but not somewhere I'd pop into for a daytime pint

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly as I suspected then, Tom. I was a little surprised they bother to open on a Friday afternoon, but my tasty pint of craft made it worth a visit.

      Delete