Friday 22 December 2023

New In Walton Vale

The original plan for today was to get the train to Fazakerley for a number of overdue ticks working my way towards Walton.  But my preflight researches revealed three new bars at the end of that journey, so instead I headed straight to Walton Vale, and Fazakerley will have to wait for another time.

Just across the road from the classic post-war architecture of the Windsor, is Rooney's:

Sorry about the rather blurry picture.

Not very pubby, but this attempt at American styling is rather good.  Chrome tables, red white and blue seats, I really like it.  There's a mezzanine above the counter with a pool table.

Nothing American in the beer choice, I had my usual Carling.  If I were making suggestions I would say why not add a couple of American beers, that heavily advertised Brooklyn Lager or something you don't see every day like Sam Adams.  (They did have Budweiser but that's probably brewed in Burton!  Come to think of it, I bet Brooklyn Lager is too.  Checks internet...  Close, but no cigar!  Magor (Wales) and Wolverhampton respectively.)

Not many people in at half one on the Friday before Christmas, two groups one of which left just after I arrived and a couple of lads playing pool.  I was somewhat concerned about how busy things would be today and had decided my alternative plan of a few ticks in the city centre was unwise, but passing through Liverpool on my way here it seemed, if anything, quieter than a normal Friday.

Perhaps everyone is sick of Christmas already, or are they saving themselves for the weekend?  Personally I'll visit the local supermarket early on Saturday morning and then I won't leave the house again until next Wednesday, when the blood donors need me.

Next, ignoring the splendid building that is the Black Bull I crossed the road to the Tiny Tavern:

A well done shop conversion, one room nicely decorated with lots of plastic greenery and flowers.  Just a tiny nod to Christmas decorations; well done!

No real ale so I had another Carling.

The gentle music mixed with chatter between the barmaid and regulars.

A few doors down the road and directly opposite the Spoons is Cove Bar:

Another pleasant shop conversion with no real ale, so Carling again.  The Christmas decorations in here are much more noticeable, but very tastefully done, in fact beautiful, so another well done from me.  This year I haven't seen a single pub with excessive dekkies, have I touched lucky or has fashion simply aligned with my personal taste?

After writing the last sentence I thought about the phrase "touched lucky".  Google was no help at all but I think it is a phrase unique to Liverpool, meaning "been fortunate".

Quite a few customers in here, the loudest sound being animated conversations.

I looked out of the front windows.  The roads here were extremely busy reminding me of last Friday's bus problems, the difference being I can get a train home this time.  I hope!  Cancelled trains at Lime Street on Wednesday after a very good Birkenhead crawl resulted in a perhaps unwise extra pint in the North Western.

With three new shop conversions ticked, it seems only fitting to do a slightly older example of the species, the Vale Bar:

I think this is my favourite non-cask micro pub in Merseyside, there's something about the over the top decor (Not a square inch of the walls unused.) that make the place attractive, and it was full of happy chatter and happy regulars.  Perhaps I'm biased because all my visits have been after a few pints?

I had considered finishing my 2023 researches with some cask in Wetherspoon's, despite it not being a "required" tick, but this is much more fun.  What a fine boozer.

So, a great result for my last survey of the year.  (That's last survey and certainly not last pubs!)  THREE brand spanking new ticks taking my score of new ones this year to 44 for an all time total of 1,465 pubs visited.  All those stories about pubs struggling and yet I can find six new ones in eight days.

Let's see how frantic things are as I make my way home on so-called Black Eye Friday...  The answer is the train from Lime Street was so quiet I got a table to myself.

Pub of the day: Vale Bar
Beer of the day: Carling
Miles walked: Less than 1.
Maybe coming soon: Fazakerley, Crosby, Egremont, Wallasey

1 comment:

  1. Looks a good little crawl that, surprised by the amount of micropubs. The American bar Rooneys not offering a few American beers is a bit baffling as you say

    ReplyDelete