Saturday 9 December 2023

Kensington

For today's crawl I headed to Kensington, starting my research at the long closed Phythian:

The surviving pub sign gave me hope for a moment that I might be in for an unexpected bonus, but no.

On to Boaler Street and the Newsham Park:

It looks like it might still be operational, but not open at half one on a Saturday.  I don't think I'll be back in this area any time soon, so it's their loss.  Oh well, on to the Sir Walter Raleigh:

And this one is open.  A pleasant pub knocked through into one room, nicely decorated but with the lights low because Liverpool was on the tellies with most of the customers watching.  I noted a rather good ceramic fireplace surround in the back part.

As I am pleased to have recorded a number of times this year, the Christmas decorations are tastefully restrained and look very good.

The projection TV screen at the front of the pub is truly enormous, it really fills the entire wall.  I remember last time I was here, in summer 2018, they were installing this or a similar screen in the back of the pub, and I joked with the installer that it wouldn't fit.  His reply was "I've told them!"

What a great traditional pub this is, a proper local's boozer.  Long may it continue.

Next, down to Prescot Road and the Vinebrook:

On my previous visits I have noted that this is a football fans' pub and I recall many years ago during the Euros finding all the regulars with red white and blue face paint and silly hats.  Today was no exception, and the place was busy with noisy Liverpool fans, all very happy as their team was now winning.  No face paint this time!

I watched the last few minutes of a rather scrappy game until the whistle went with 102 on the clock, welcomed with a very loud cheer.  More cheers when we learned that that LFC were now top of the league, albeit possibly for only two or three hours. 

The atmosphere gradually calmed down a little but it remained a lively pub, another proper boozer.

I eyed up the weather out of the window.  The rain was intermittently heavy and I haven't taken a picture yet, I need to cross the road.  As I departed the rain almost stopped allowing photos of this and the next pub.

On to the architectural gem that is the Kensington:

Another friendly lively traditional boozer, perhaps not quite as busy as the Vinebrook.  This one has kept quite a few original features and is on CAMRA's list of historic pub interiors, I think.

I sat in the front lounge, a small room with some wood panelling, and a tiny counter served via a small hatch in the bar back.

There was a bowl of chocolates on the counter so I helped myself to one to accompany my third Carling of the day.  I remember being surprised to find cask ale and waitress service in here many years ago, causing a pub crawl of half pints to be paused.

The TVs here were showing rugger, not many of the customers seemed to be paying attention.

It was warmish in the lounge, none of the pubs so far have suffered from the chill I've grumbled about in the past.  The majority of the regulars seemed to be keeping their coats on, but I was comfortable in just a tee-shirt (No, not that one; it would be a bit hypocritical, I think, to wear it in a pub I haven't been in for over five years!)

The next location along is the Sheil Park:

Too dark already for a picture, this one is from my previous visit.  Definitely no chance of a blue sky like that today, with storm Elin passing through.

One large open room with a high ceiling in this rather fine traditional boozer.  They have the same rugby on as the Kensington, I don't think anyone was watching.

The Christmas decorations in here were the busiest I've seen this season, but still mostly tasteful.  Perhaps the greenery, silver balls and flashing lights along the front edge of the counter top are a little too much, but apart from that the place is beautifully done.  The not oversized tree is especially attractive, although I do wonder if, had this been the first pint of the day instead of the fourth, I might have described it as excessive.

Shall I do another tick?  No I think I'll get a bus home before the weather worsens.

Pub of the day: Kensington, for the architecture and the free sweet.
Beer of the day: Carling
Miles walked: 1.2
Maybe coming soon: Crosby, Heswall, Kirkdale

No comments:

Post a Comment