Thursday 18 May 2023

Rainhill

Medical matters took me to Whiston Hospital, presenting a golden opportunity for some overdue ticks nearby.

I started in the Holt:

The comfortable unexceptional interior here has had many walls knocked through over the years, but still retains two halves and two counters.

A handful of locals were chatting but the loudest sound was racing commentary, and from where I sat in the lounge side I could see five screens.  The regulars were mostly ignoring them but as it was punditry between races I don't blame them.  Later, racing gave way to lobster fishing.  No, really!  I noticed they call it lobster hunting to make it more dramatic.  A quick channel change moved us to the equally uninteresting golf.

How about a Pub Hunters programme?  There's plenty of the false drama loved by these shows available:  Will it be open?  Will the cask ale be drinkable?  Will the locals take exception to someone taking notes?  Can our hero make his target number of ticks before closing time.  And still have time for a chippy stop on the way home.  I'm available if any production companies fancy it.  If they don't want me as the star, I could be the pub consultant.

That's it for Whiston (for today) so it's on to the Coach & Horses in Rainhill:

It was only after I had ordered my second Guinness of the day that I spotted the back of a handpump on the other counter, so maybe I could have had cask?  (Obviously in Pub Hunters I would be dramatically upset by this error.  "I must put this disaster behind me and keep on with my journey")

The main soundtrack in here was The Chase on the telly, I got most of the questions right, honest.  Again a handful of regulars were creating a background of conversation.

The decor is rather tastefully done, you don't often see flock wallpaper nowadays!

My next target was the Bar Next Door:

But, and not for the first time, it is apparently shut.

So, on to the Skew Bridge but hang on a mo, in the same little shopping precinct I can see the Hop House:

It's always good to find a bar I've never heard of, and this one is a cracker.  No handpumps but a selection of interesting craft ales (and as far as I could see, no "ordinary" ones.)  I selected a rather wonderful "pastry sour" (whatever that means) from Brew York.

Looking out of the front window of the converted shop I could see a wine bar over the road, I made a snap decision that it was outside the purview of this guide, so I didn't do it.  It's my guide so I decide where to draw the line!  (Coming up on Pub Hunters:  Disaster for the owners as Phil snubs their bar.)

Continuing today's theme, everyone else in the pub knows everyone, and the chat was beating the very quiet background music.

Next, the Skew Bridge Alehouse:

Exactly as I reported in 2017, a pleasant shop conversion with six handpumps serving excellent ale.  Once again the regulars were enjoying their chat, this time I was able to butt in when they couldn't remember the name of the pub at the bottom of James Street on the left.  It was, of course, the long demolished Coopers Emporium.

I had a great pint of Oatmeal Stout from Burton Town Brewery, I think it was.

Next time on Pub Hunters, there's trouble as Phil returns a pint of vinegar, and then a crisis as he gets lost in the back streets of Everton.

Pub of the day: Skew Bridge Alehouse
Beer of the day: Brew York Colour Of Your Life
Miles walked: 1.6
Maybe coming soon: Everton, Picton. 

No comments:

Post a Comment