Tuesday 9 May 2023

Eurovision

I headed down to the Pier Head to see all the Eurovision shenanigans.  I must say I was disappointed to find a lack of Ukrainian beer, which I would have liked to try.

The area was full of thousands of children who were on organised school outings.  I don't remember getting any jaunts to this sort of thing when I was at school all those years ago, but we did get a trip to the dress rehearsal for the famous Festival of Nine Lessons and Carols in King College Chapel which, looking back, I think is better.  When they start Once In Royal David's City the hairs on the back of my neck still stand up.

Where can I survey nearby?  How about the Bierkeller:

A very nicely done bar serving a range of European keg beers from which I chose Erdinger as usual. £6.95!

With it being Eurovision week I expected the place to be packed, but it was surprisingly quiet.

The menu looks good but twelve quid for Bratwurst and chips is a bit much.

I quite like the interior, long benches being the only obviously Germanic aspect of what is otherwise a standard "modern" bar with naked air ducts.  I noted a small stage at one end of the room so I imagine live music is part of the evening's entertainment here.

My journey upstairs to the gents revealed a larger sports bar called Shooters.

Next, the Club House:

What on earth is this?  How does it relate to the Tavern that I visited some years ago in this area?  Chevasse Park was occupied by a live stage and surrounded by a security cordon, you can see some of the barriers in the picture, so I couldn't wander at will to work out what is and was here.

Anyway, an odd but very pleasant place on two floors, I don't know how to describe the decor, you'll just have to visit and find out.  I think it's supposed to be Cape Cod, whatever that means.

This time I had a pint of proper Budweiser.  Again, Eurovision has not filled this bar up, in fact most customers were enjoying the sunshine outside so I sat on my own indoors.

Further exploration (Keeping outside the security barriers.) resolved my doubts about what was where and I soon found Aether which used to be the Tavern on the Green.  No picture I'm afraid.

Completely deserted in here, another room with naked cable trays and air conditioning, looking pretty much the same as last time I was here, I think.  The fonts on the counter each had two taps but no labels, so I had to ask what was on offer, perhaps I was supposed to order from the waitresses.  Anyway, one of the beers was Pravha which was pretty tasty.

The staff provided entertainment by erecting a new screen, presumably for Eurovision, at the end of the room.  I think my choice of table might have impeded their efforts but no one asked me to move, so I just joined in with the fun.  They hadn't decided where to put the projector yet, which seems to me to be putting the cart before the horse.

Suddenly a large group turned up, changing the ambience from peaceful to cheerful.

Where next?  I initially decided to head for home, but I got distracted en route by the Celtic Corner, not visited for over five years.

Not one of my best pictures, but short of standing in the middle of Lime Street it's the best I could do.

A well done Irish style bar, not over the top in its Irishness.  The place was pretty empty at half four on a Tuesday, despite a rather good young lady with a guitar providing live music.  Will You Go, Lassie, Go?  Superb!  Followed by The Only Living Boy in New York.

Pub of the day: Celtic Corner
Beer of the day: Erdinger
Miles walked: 2
Maybe coming soon: Picton

No comments:

Post a Comment