Saturday 12 October 2024

More Drinks!

Ooops!  A lack of proper planning saw me on the train to Tranmere with some noisy football fans.  To be fair, they were noisy but well behaved.  I considered changing my plans and going somewhere else but decided to stick with it.  Off the train at Rock Ferry, all the fans dived into the Bedford while I turned the other way.  My first intended target was close to the ground but before that I had to walk past the Rockvilla.  But it's changed name, to More Drinks!

The auctioneers sign outside doesn't bode well, but it's open now so I'll visit even though I was here only three years ago so it is not technically "required".

Just as last time this is a rather well done plain boozer, with rough wood panelling and some bare brick creating an attractive interior. 

There are two distinct sides to the pub, but the back of the servery seems to have been glazed so I think one has to come into this side to be served.  This side has a couple of rooms off, altogether a rather good layout.

I ordered a Carling before I spotted the intriguing handwritten tap label "Wirral Wobbler".

About half a dozen regulars were joking and chatting.  There's something special about this pub that I can't identify:  Perhaps it is the happy atmosphere, with friendly barman and regulars creating a pleasant ambience.

Some free food appeared on the counter as I neared the end of my pint - I resisted. 

A query arose at the pool table, and the players consulted the barman for adjudication.  He said "if you're paying EPA rules it's no, Birkenhead rules yes" which rather amused me.  I think I've come across these "Birkenhead Rules" in another pub some time ago.  (Purely as a nosy observer, not a player, I hasten to add.)

I headed on to the Sportsmans Arms:

As expected, this place was full of footie fans, gradually leaving for the ground.

Oh goodie!  White Rat is on.  The friendly barmaid apologised for serving cask in a plastic glass, I told her it tasted the same.  (To be honest I do prefer glass, but I'm not going to complain when they're serving one of my favourite ales in fine nick.  And it was only three quid.)

I had to stand initially, but fairly soon got a seat and table, as time moved on towards kick off and the crowd thinned .  By three there were only half a dozen of us left, and the bar staff busied themselves collecting glasses (er, plastics?) and empty crisp packets, and cleaning the tables.

I've been impressed by this pub before, pleasantly decorated and well maintained, offering quality cask in what would otherwise be a bit of a desert, they seem to have the formula exactly right.  I couldn't see any indication of the food they used to offer, but perhaps that's just because of the footie? 

I moved on, passing the long closed Black Horse where I last supped in 2012.  Did I get the giant chimney in my picture?  I thought chimneys like that had been forgotten by 1931 when this place was built.

A loud cheer indicated Tranmere had gone one down.  Only a short walk away is the Beehive:

I really like this historic-looking building (1930s again?) and I was pleased to find that the pub is still operating.   Inside I found a dozen or so regulars.

I read somewhere that Moretti has overtaken Carling as the biggest selling draught beer in the UK - Not here, I could see umpteen Carling glasses, and I added one to the total. 

The interior here is plain but well done and well cared for, the colour scheme is the fashionable shades of grey.

Once again, free food was on offer, sandwiches and chicken nibbles I think.  Again, I resisted temptation.  The mixing desk and lights at the end of the room suggested a noisy Saturday night ahead but at half three the only sounds were chit-chat and racing commentary. 

Next, into the back streets in search of the Imperial:

Something of a classic, this one, with some historic features such as an ancient fireplace inside although I suspect much of the decor is sixties?  I'm not sure though, the leaded glass above the counter seems genuine thirties or older.  I need an architecture expert to analyse this one for me!  The building must be early twentieth century I think, so maybe the interior is too.  A very pleasing boozer anyway.

Once again the sound was the animated chatter of one or two dozen regulars, I think the sport on the telly was silent. 

I'm off, before the football lets out.  This turned out to be a wise decision, the rumbles of thunder while I waited for the bus were followed by a very heavy hailstorm as I travelled into Birkenhead.

Pub of the day: Sportsmans Arms
Beer of the day: Ossett White Rat
Miles walked: 2
Maybe coming soon: Kirkdale, Birkenhead

No comments:

Post a Comment