Thursday 17 October 2024

Birkdale

On a warm sunny October Thursday I headed to Birkdale, hoping for some overdue revisits and some new ones.  I started in Bar'Nista:

This is a pleasant cafe/bar in a shop conversion.  What makes it special is the handpumps on the counter.  Only one had a clip so I had a pint of Courage Directors, I must confess I didn't know they still brewed it.  Very nice, anyway.  It came in one of those strange Hobgoblin glasses.

Plenty of customers inside and out, the majority on wine I think, although I did overhear a request for an Irish coffee.

Next, Barrique:

An even posher wine bar, this one, but three taps behind the counter so I'll allow it.  I chose the house lager which was tasty.

Again, some people were enjoying the unexpected sunshine and sitting outside, as well as half a dozen indoor customers. 

The decor is rather attractive contemporary, with some white tiling and a partly mosaic floor.  

I perused the menu.  The most expensive wine I could see was £110 for a bottle.  No thanks! 

Along one wall were some intriguing dispensing machines: You need to load a card at the bar and then insert it and select one of sixteen wines.  You can see the bottles inside the machine.  Does it really get so busy in here that they can't just pour you a wine at the counter? There was another identical machine to dispense whisky but it didn't have any bottles in so it's presumably not in use today. 

While this is certainly not "My sort of place" (TM) I must say it was pleasant and comfortable, what more could one ask for?  The answer, of course, is cask ale.

A short walk into the suburban streets took me to the Upsteps:

At four on a Thursday I found a busy lively locals' boozer, I almost had to elbow my way to the counter as it was surrounded by seated regulars.  I ordered a pint of White Rat, the barmaid started pulling a Wainwright.  A dilemma for me, last time I corrected a barmaid she was right and I was wrong, and embarrassed.  I risked it and she quickly abandoned the wrong one and pulled me an excellent pint of White Rat.

What a brilliant pub this is, cheerful busy atmosphere, quality ale, comfortable interior pleasantly decorated. 

The background music mixed with multiple conversations as I enjoyed the pint of the day.

Back to central Birkdale where there is one more overdue tick right beside the station, but first how about a new one, the Tea Rooms:

Birkdale seems to be the home of the cafe/bar shop conversion, and this is another one - Tea Rooms calls itself a wine bar but with five taps on the counter it certainly qualifies for the guide.  One high ceilinged room with, I'm sorry to report, more staff than customers at five o'clock.  Two of the staff departed just after I wrote that, their shift must end at five I guess.

I selected long term favourite Erdinger from the selection of international brews, of course it came in the proper glass.  The food menu, pizzas and focaccia looks rather tempting, but I'll wait until I get home and get a pizza delivery, I think. 

Finally, next to the station is Birkers, last visited in 2017:

This rather odd "shed" in the station yard is a great boozer.  One high ceilinged room with an island servery in the middle, and comfortable seating all around.  Most of the regulars were sitting at the counter but I retreated with my Carling to one of the tables. 

The decor has been "enhanced" by various Halloween related cobwebs, ghosts, skeletons, and so on.  At least it prevents early Christmas decorations!

The menu of wings, burgers, and pizzas looks good and good value. 

At half five on a Thursday I could see twelve customers, all sitting at the counter except for one eating and me.

Gosh!  Three brand new ticks AND two quality cask ales, that's a rather good haul for a Thursday afternoon!  I'll see you at the Rainhill Beer Festival on Saturday - If you want an extremely rare* signed one, bring your copy of my book and I'll sign it! (You'll have to recognise me first, though.)

(* At the time of writing, only one signed copy exists.)

Pub of the day: Upsteps
Beer of the day: White Rat
Miles walked: 0.8
Maybe coming soon: Kirkdale, Birkenhead

No comments:

Post a Comment