Friday 15 September 2023

Tithebarn Street

Blood donating took me in to central Liverpool so obviously I had to replace lost fluids!

I started with a brand new (to me) one, Tempest on Tithebarn:

I really like the contemporary decor in here, polished concrete floor, bare concrete ceiling, naked ducts and pipework, all contrasting with lots of pot plants.

I perused the selection of standard kegs, and then spotted Tempest Tank Bier which comes from two large stainless steel tanks at the end of the counter.  It was a tasty lager.

Many of the customers were using laptops, presumably it's more comfortable than an office.  There were enough people to create a background of chatter which mixed with the gentle music.

On to Shenanigans:

A rather fine "Irish" bar, this.  Every inch of wall space in the tiny front room is covered in pictures, posters, and so on, and a bicycle and a plough hang from the high ceiling.  Someone has managed to create a very good overall appearance, I really like it.

Of course, I had to have a Guinness here, and I got the proper pour-wait-finish serve, and no shamrock.  Well done.  I noticed they've got Irish crisps (Tayto) - A nice touch.

Quite busy, well the place is only tiny, but I managed to bag a table.

Next, across the road is a place I hadn't even heard of until I walked past to get here, so let's try Hemingways:

Hmmm.  I think the phrase that leapt to mind is "poncy coffee bar".  But a pint of Shipyard is good anywhere, so no complaints.  It cost £5.50, but came with the offer of a bowl of olives.

The friendly barman/barista seemed to know all the other customers, and chatted with them while I enjoyed my beer.

The slightly quirky decor is very good in my opinion, dark walls relieved by some rough wood panelling behind the counter.

One of the customers sneaked behind the counter and started fiddling with the coffee machine.  If I was the barman I would have rapidly ejected him, but our host took it in his stride and chatted about how to drive the machine.  Perhaps the "customer" was a colleague?

No one else, inside or on the tables outside where most were, was drinking anything alcoholic; all the sales were coffee.  No, wait, he's just poured four pints of Poretti and taken them outside. A few minutes later another bloke came in for a pint so clearly beer is also popular.

I noticed they've got one of those Guinness surgers on the counter, not as good as proper draft in my opinion.

Pub of the day: Shenanigans
Beer of the day: Tempest Tank Bier
Miles walked: 2.2
Maybe coming soon: Wavertree, Bold Heath, Clock Face

2 comments:

  1. Shenanigans is a wonderful place. If it served real ale I would visit far more often, but then imagine how hard it would be to find a seat!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly right. No chance of getting in if they had cask on.

      Delete