Friday 1 September 2023

Prescot

I headed to Prescot for domestic reasons, but why not collect a few ticks before I do the shopping?  Firstly, the Royal Oak:

Last time I was here I recorded that it was very pleasant.  Has it had another refurbishment since then?  It looks even nicer, in fact I would say immaculate.  It's hard to put my finger on exactly what they've done right, but they certainly have.

No clips on the handpumps so I guess the Cask Ales sign outside is no longer true.  (Was it ever?)

I sat with two other customers in the smaller "bar" part of the two sided interior and drank a Carling.  The background music was at a very low level making for a wonderfully relaxing peaceful atmosphere.  Some people would complain about the pub being "dead", but I really enjoyed the quiet.

Next, Tommy Hall's:
No, wait, it's called the Thomas Hall now.  I can remember when it was the Hare and Hounds, and Tommy Hall's was a nickname.

A more historic boozer this, retaining some of its woodwork and a rather fine fireplace inside.  Which incidentally displays a very impressive selection of sports trophies.

I noticed the woodwork above the counter was very low so, being over six feet, I couldn't see the barmaid's face while she poured my Carling.  How odd!  The woodwork looks pretty old, is it just that no one was this tall when it was built?

Two sides again but no obvious difference between them.  About half a dozen regulars, making some conversation but the main sound was a racing channel on the multiple tellies.  Some of the drinkers were watching closely and clutching betting slips.

Next, what about a new tick?  Mercutio's:
Oh dear, it's after two on a Friday afternoon and this nicely done corridor bar has three staff and zero customers.

As soon as I'd typed that some more people came in, but they turned out to be friends of the staff and didn't buy anything!  So not good.

A sign on the counter said Please pay cash if you can, so I did.  Someone suspicious might think of a tax dodge, but I'm guessing they just want to avoid paying the card company's charges.  I don't know what the fees are for an operation like this but I bet it's at least a few percent.  If you're only just managing to make a profit that's serious money.  Plus, of course, the card people won't actually pay you for a few weeks.

No Carling here, so I had San Miguel.

Pub of the day: Royal Oak
Beer of the day: Carling
Miles walked: 0.75
Maybe coming soon: Thatto Heath, Wavertree

4 comments:

  1. I'm glad someone is still writing about the keg boozers ! Prescot looked in decent shape when I visited (first time in many years) to tick the Spoons.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Prescot is on the up, presumably due to the arrival of Shakespeare North. The Spoons is a rather good one, in my opinion.

      Delete
  2. The Spoons looks nice and the staff were great, though the Abbot I feel obliged to have now it's award-winning wasn't.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Disappointing to hear about the Abbot, I have always found the ale to be good in there.

      Delete