Saturday 22 September 2018

Reclaiming Lost Territory in Billinge

I started my trip to Billinge at the top of the main street, at the Eagle and Child:
A classic multi-roomed pub in a very old looking building.  There's some knocking through but they've still got separate rooms.

There were three other "customers" in when I arrived, but after some dithering they said "OK, we'll leave it then", and departed.  I'm guessing they'd been told there was no food, or no Prosecco or something, but I'm only guessing.

Two handpumps offered Lancaster Blonde or Lancaster Red, and the Blonde was spot on despite the lack of custom.

As I enjoyed my pint an older couple came in, tripling the trade, and later another younger bloke.  He was off to Vegas tomorrow, "a thousand pounds on red," he said, I hope he was joking.

Unlike some of my recent ticks, it's "only" eight years since I was last here, when I had a fine pint of Tetley bitter, it was still the proper stuff brewed in Leeds back then, I think.

Another for my collection of amusing pub slogans: Time flies when you're having rum.

Just across the road is the Stork Inn:
Unfortunately, although it looks like an operational pub, it didn't appear to be open at ten to one on a Saturday.  (Whatpub says it opens at 12, but hasn't been updated since 2015.)  If they think I'm coming back all this way for just one pub they're sadly mistaken!

I took a stroll up to where the never-visited Squires used to be.  I think this is it, somewhat extended and now a nursery:

Down the hill to the Foresters Arms:
No-one in except me and the barman/landlord.  There was footie on the telly, but I don't think my half of lager will pay Sky's fee!

I looked at my surroundings:  Pleasant plain decor, beautifully maintained and cleaned.

No-one came in or out while I drank, the landlord kept busy setting things up for the (hoped for) rush later, and then sweeping along the frontage.

I took a long-ish walk down narrowing roads lined with impressive stone cottages to today's prime objective, the Mason's Arms:
I claim this pub for Merseyside, and repudiate any Pies' assertions to the contrary, is what I should have said on entering, before planting a large flag with a Liver Bird on it.  But it's probably just as well I didn't.  I'm guessing this place is inspected by the Wigan branch of CAMRA, which is why it has been appropriated by the Greater Manchester section of the Good Beer Guide, despite being well over a mile inside the Merseyside boundary.

Here I found a great country pub with fine, if somewhat busy, decor.  On the counter were five handpumps.  I ordered a Cross Bay Blonde from Morecambe.  The landlord warned me it was a little cloudy, and twice said that if I didn't like it he would change it.  Once the bubbles had risen it was a touch hazy but, as often happens with a slight fog, it tasted fine, so I drank it and enjoyed it.

It was only after the lacings had drained that I could be sure that my large glass was a 22oz one, so I certainly got a good measure.  My long running "campaign" for the full pint is pretty much moribund, but it's still very pleasing to get one unexpectedly.

There were plenty of other customers in here, groups of blokes, women, and families, keeping the landlord busy.

I can't find any notes, and it pre-dates this blog, but my recollection of my 2010 trip to Billinge was that I walked down the hill and the Mason's was shut.

Back to the village centre, and I decided that amongst the busy signage on the Labour Club I couldn't see "non-members welcome", so I skipped it:

Next, the Billinge Arms:
Inside the traditional stone building is a dimly lit restaurant/bar with very good contemporary styling.

At three on a Saturday it was deserted, there was, I think, just one other customer in the large open room as I sat down.  One or two others arrived later, including a mother with two young kids.  The mum was here to watch the rugby, apparently.  There were still more staff than customers, though.

Having said restaurant above, I noticed there was no sign of menus, cutlery and so on, perhaps I've got it wrong?  In the car park there used to be a curry house, it's now the Huntsman grill so perhaps that's where people go to eat.
No, as soon as I wrote that, the aforementioned mother ordered some food for herself and the kids.  There were a lot of "error" beeps from the till, and the chef had to come and fix it.  (One's always suspicious of thin chefs, no worry with this one!)

Time to start heading for home, but there's a good opportunity for an extra tick en route, at the never visited Carr Mill:
This is a large and rather impressive inter-war roadhouse, I think, now a food-led pub under Greene King's Flaming Grill brand.

I selected a quick half of Abbot from the two handpumps, sadly it was rather vinegary, I'm glad I didn't have a pint.  I received a "Buy five pints get one free" card for the cask ale, even though I only had a half.  I can't see me coming back for the other four, anyway!

The place was very busy with families and groups, and I could hear some cheering, I presume when St Helens scored in the rugby.

The menu looks good value, with my standard measure, fish and chips, at only £6.29.

I looked around inside as I headed for the gents, there were a lot of people here for the rugby, and I must say the decor is very good.

Pub of the day: Well duh!  Obviously, the Mason's.
Miles walked: 2.8
Coming soon:  Maybe Toxteth.

No comments:

Post a Comment