Monday 11 June 2018

Poste House

To replace fluids after a blood donor session I called in at the Poste House:
This little gem never changes.  Some years ago it was threatened with demolition, so I signed a petition to save it.  Then, for a while, it stood alone in a building site.  As you can see, the buildings either side have been completed.

Downstairs is one tiny room with a counter in the corner, upstairs is similar.  On a Monday afternoon it was doing well, there was just one table free when I arrived, so I could sit down to enjoy my beer (After a chat with the barmaid/landlady - I don't think you're allowed in the place unless you have a chat.)

There was a steady hubub of chatter maintaining the friendly atmosphere.  Swearwords were in plentiful supply, especially from behind the counter!

I'm not convinced by the story that Adolf Hitler drank here when he visited his brother in Liverpool before the First World War, but you never know.  Others say he drank in Peter Kavanagh's and the majority opinion is that he never came at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment