Tuesday 19 June 2018

Knowsley Village

A short bus trip took me to Knowsley Village, and I started at the Copper Pot:
This is one of those large food-oriented places constructed by a main road, the twenty-first century version of the interwar roadhouse.

Inside is the standard modern decor with pastel walls plus occasional wood panelling.  Somehow I felt the overall impression was above average for this sort of place.  There were some odd bits of wall which cleverly broke up what would otherwise be a large boring space.

On the bar were eight handpumps, but only two had clips on.  With some trepidation I ordered a Pedigree, and my fears seemed to be justified when it came out with no head despite the sparkler being used.  I grasped the glass to find it was ice cold as well.  I gingerly sniffed for the expected vinegar, but it wasn't there.  So my pint turned out to be over-chilled and under-gassed, but still tasty.  Not the best Pedigree I've ever had, but a lot better than I expected, and certainly drinkable.

At 1pm on a Tuesday there was a steady flow of dining custom, the large open room filled with the gentle hubbub of happy diners.

By the way, nought out of ten for customer service; a couple came in and sat at a table on which there was a menu.  When they tried to order food they were told they had to move to the dining side of the room.  How difficult would it be to serve them where they were?  And why have menus and a table number if food isn't available there.

I strolled along rural and residential roads until I reached the large complex which was the Millbrook Manor function suite which included a small pub called the Knowsley Arms.  I had already observed from the bus that this was out of action:
On to the Pipe and Gannex:
Curses!  Closed and tinned up.  Annoyingly, I stood in the car park here and took a picture in November 2016, at which time it was open, but we had other pubs to visit so there wasn't time to go in.  So it'll forever be "Last visited January 2003" in the database.

In case you haven't guessed, it was named after the trademarks of the local MP, Prime Minister Harold Wilson.  I wonder if he ever came here!

Next, the Derby Arms.  I seem to have forgotten to take a photo.

This was a regular haunt of mine back in the mid 90s, but I haven't been in since 1997, so it pre-dates the pub guide.  The interior seemed unfamiliar, and although I could easily spot our regular seat in the bay window everything else looked different.  I wonder if the distressed woodwork was then dark coloured.  Twenty-one years is a long time to try and remember!

Anyway, the handpumps were not in use, so I had a pint of Guinness.

There was next to no-one in, just two regulars when I arrived, and two or three more came in as I drank.  The world cup was on the TVs, Japan beating Columbia, with the commentary set to the perfect 'audible but not annoying' volume.

I had a look at the menu of standard pub food and I must say it was a lot cheaper than the Copper Pot.  Unlike there, no-one was eating while I was here.

No comments:

Post a Comment