Saturday, 3 October 2026

Town and Country

A bit of worry earlier in the week when I "discovered" there were no buses to today's destination.  Luckily it occurred to me last night that that was highly unlikely so I checked again and got the correct information.  And so I headed out on a sunny Saturday morning, in to town and then on a bus under the river and all the way to the Merseyside border in the middle of Wirral to commence the country part of today's plan at the Red Fox:

It's a Brunning and Price so you know what to expect, this is a beautifully decorated place.

In the bar room I found ten handpumps on the counter.  I selected Peat Bog from Big Bog.  29 beer miles according to the beer list.  A very good porter, but not quite as flavourful as I expected given that the pump clip promised liquorice root.

I have commented before, I think, that this operation does a really good job of being a posh restaurant but still welcoming drinkers and making them comfortable.  I sat in a leather armchair in a part of the room unsuitable for dining - Too many places would have cleared this corner out and put in some more tables.  Mind you, the building really is enormous so I doubt they are often short of seating capacity.

I resisted the tempting wafts of fish and chips and enjoyed my pint.  The bar room was peaceful, just a few conversations.  I could hear more of a hubbub of chat from elsewhere.

I was planning to walk the next leg of my mission but there's a bus soon so, in view of my dodgy knee, I think I'll wait for that.  (I'll try not to go on about my knee too much.)

On to Thornton Hough and the Seven Stars:

What a pleasant village local this is, ticking over at two on a Saturday with regulars chatting with the bar staff.  They are down to one cask, but one is plenty and my Trapper's Hat was spot on.  No one else seemed to be on the real ale.

I was in the "bar" side, I couldn't see how busy the restaurant part was but people were arriving so clearly it was doing OK.

What a nice village with a wonderful pub.  I don't think I could live here, though, unless I could afford car and driver to take me on pub surveys!

Next, a walk to the village of Raby.  As a lifelong "townie" I am always a little nervous of a country road with no footpaths, but my walk was easy and the few cars that passed gave me plenty of space.  The sun shone, the sky was cloudless, it was a pleasant stroll and I soon reached the Wheatsheaf:

This thatched gem hasn't changed since the last time I was here, which was August 2021.  An historic building with a multi room interior.

I selected something hazy and tasty from Thornbridge from a good range of cask ales, and settled in a comfortable corner.

No music in this pub, the only sounds were quiet conversations and the occasional clink of glasses at the counter.

Food came out, toasted sandwiches and a bowl of chips.  Very tempting.

That's three great pints in three beautiful pubs, what's next?  I think it is time to move on to the town section of today's survey and to go down market for a pint of Carling, and yet up market because there's no way I'm walking to the bus stop so I'm going to summon an Uber.  Will there be any around here ready to leap into action?  Yes is the answer, and I was quickly on my way.

The townie in me felt a little like I was coming back to civilization as my joby left the countryside and entered the council estates of Eastham.  He dropped me outside the classic sixties building that is the Rake Hotel:

Down market, maybe, but certainly clean, tidy, and pleasant.  Very quiet at four on a Saturday, I'm sorry to say.

This is a two sided boozer, I suspect the other half is not in use now but it appears to be available when required.

The "dance floor" in here was in use as a parking area for mobility scooters.  If my dodgy knee turns out to be something serious (Unlikely, three pints has pretty much cured it.) I might be on one before too long. There is a running joke amongst pub collectors which says that scooters parked outside is the mark of a proper pub, but here they park them inside which I would say is even better!

Odd?  The big screen was showing Now 80s, that's normal in this sort of pub, the volume was gentle so I'm all in favour.  Three blokes got their drinks and then sat in a row right in front of the screen.  Why?  They continued to chat.  If I'd come here for a chat with my mates I'd face away from the screen and perhaps enjoy the music .  Aha, the explanation:  The barmaid switched the telly to an England footie match which is obviously what they are here for.  I was enjoying the Proclaimers' 500 miles but I think I'm outvoted!

Next, a short walk to the Argyle & Sutherland:

In the past I have had some dodgy cask in here, no danger of that today as the handpumps have all gone.  I couldn't see Carling so I had a cider for a change.  Strongbow is about as "real" as Carling.  And a lot sweeter!

This large sixties construction is very well decorated inside and beautifully cared for.

I was surprised to see the big match wasn't on the many TVs, then one of the regulars asked the landlady to "put the footie on" and she switched channels.  The match still hasn't started.  I finally discovered it is Croatia v England.  I was going to say something stupid about "is it safe?" but I'm the idiot who, five pints in, confuses Croatia with Ukraine for some reason.

Nitpicking pub collectors might want to note the name changes at this pub.  When I came here in 2003 it was the "Argyll & Sutherland Highlander Inn" (And I spelled it Argyle, wrongly I think.).  By 2015 it had become just "Argyll" and more recently it has regained the Sutherland.

Having nearly finished my cider, I looked around.  This is a really well done pub, attractively decorated (It was substantially refurbished in 2023 I believe.) welcoming plenty of locals, this is the formula to go with in the late 2020s.  While I of course miss cask ale I realise this is one of the ways to go forward.  I'm going to predict that this pub will be the same or similar when I come to re-visit it in 2031!  Good thing too.

On the original plan this was the end of the trip, but I discovered there's a new place next door, so I must try the Barrell Inn:

Only one cask ale on in this pleasant comfortable shop conversion, but the Timothy Taylor's Blonde was spot on.  Don't forget, one cask is enough, especially if it is as good as this.  And I got a discount for being a CAMRA member.  They also have a fine selection of keg, including favourites Budvar and Clwb Tropica, and even the famous but boring Hawkstone lager.

I reckon there were more people in this small space than in the whole of the pub next door.  That may be a slight exaggeration but it's not far off.

The background music was mostly drowned out by multiple conversations in here. Given the choice, this is the better place of the two in my opinion.

Six pints, four quality real ales, one new tick; time for home.

Pubs of the day: Wheatsheaf and Red Fox
Beer of the day: Peat Bog
Miles walked: 2.7
Merseyside pubs visited in the last five years: 1,029
Maybe coming soon: Undecided

No comments:

Post a Comment