Friday, 11 September 2026

Crosby

I was watching the Great British Pub Crawl on YouTube last week and Dale came to Crosby.  I was somewhat miffed to see he ticked three places I've never been in, so it's time to rectify those omissions.

I set off on this historic date.  Was it really twenty-five years ago?  I was only fifty miles away from one of the sites back than, and it was a slightly surreal experience.  I struggled to phone the UK to confirm I was OK, presumably because everyone else was trying to do the same.  We were all sent home from work and the whole city was quieter than I'd ever seen it.  (A few days later they cancelled my pilot's license and never let me fly again.)

Today, I started at One Five Six:

I must confess I'd spotted this place last time I was around here but looking across the road I had decided it was a restaurant, so I didn't go closer.

It is certainly more of a restaurant, but I was welcome for a pint of Paulaner.  I couldn't see any taps, which initially put me off, but the beer appeared from the back so I'm guessing they do have draught. There were eight craft beers listed on the board. Er well, seven and Guinness. Special thanks to the Pub Crawl because even if I'd peered in the window I would have seen no taps and not come in.

The mainly green decor is rather good in here.  I didn't see anyone else drinking beer, plenty of coffees were being served.

It was quite quiet when I started but by the end of my pint it was nearly full.  In fact, I gave up my table for six and moved to sit at the counter so the large group could sit together.

I see from the sign that they have live music upstairs.

Just round the corner is Norseman which was Inside No. 4 last time I was here, in 2024.  I'm told they have cask ale but I'm going to have to give them a miss today as I already have six targets to go at, and seven would be too many, I think.

I strolled on towards the centre.  Hampsons is now Blue Bird, Rocksalt is now Salt Rock, and Angus is now Goose by the Green.  I skipped them all and headed for a new one, Ironman:

What an impressive space, this shop conversion on two floors. Bare brick and ironwork, and a nicely done wooden counter.

I selected a fine pint of Neptune's Ezili from the four handpumps.  It came in an Ironman branded sleeve.

I was disappointed to see I was the only customer at two on a Friday; where is everyone?  We need more customers in great pubs like this, or they will end up closed. (I see Whitbread have given up on pubs and their Beefeater and Table Table brands are closing, except to serve Premier Inn residents.)

Finally another drinker came in, at last customers equal staff, just fifty more and we'll be cooking!

Just over the road is a great pub, and it is overdue for a tick (Five years and two days!), so Stamps Bar is next:

Ah, White Rat, what more could one ask!  There were five or six handpumps to choose from, they've also got the excellent Jarl.

Not quite as empty as Ironman, but hardly busy.  A pleasant eclectically decorated space on two floors (I don't think I've ever looked upstairs)

Am I allowed a grumble?  I noticed a regular who was standing at the counter got a much more carefully topped up pint of ratty than I did!  (Even better, the next regular to come in got a kiss from the landlady/barmaid which I think would be preferable to a top-up any day.  I should be so lucky!)

More customers came in, and the barmaid was busy pouring more ratty.  In my sixty five years I have got used to my tastes being different to the majority of the population, but with White Rat it would appear that with one of my favourite beers I'm on trend!

Next, another one from Dale's video, Koko:

Odd this one; it looks like a restaurant/bar but there wasn't any sign inside of food.  I ordered a pint of Moretti, and sat at a table to enjoy it.

Only two other people in here, and the couple were clearly regulars.  Again, I ask where are all the customers on a Friday afternoon?  I thought 2020s office workers didn't go in on a Friday so surely they should be out for a drink by now?

I spotted the tea and coffee menu.  Have I complained before (probably multiple times if I'm honest) that 2.5 is not a valid price, if it's £2.50 than write that!

Next, a traditional pub and another five years and two days tick, the George:

Dale really liked this one and I had to agree, it looks great inside.  I changed my mind when I tasted my pint of Bass, which was well past its best.

The place was busier than the previous ticks, so clearly cask quality is not the way to get customers.  Pity.

Years ago I grumbled about the brewery tat and decor in here, today there was none of that, it is a great historic boozer and if only they could serve a decent pint they would deserve to do well.

I abandoned my terrible ale and headed out.  Finally, Frankie's.  Ah.  No.  It's gone.

So, I could do with a proper boozer to finish on.  Nowhere better than Larkins:

(Picture from last year)  Now this is a proper place; a tiny space hidden on a side street.  There were only two other customers at four on a Friday.  My Carling (In a Carling glass) was spot on, just what I needed to wash my mouth out!

Once again, I'm concerned that this one is not busier on a Friday afternoon, where is everyone?  On the other hand, as people left, others came in, at least they're ticking over. Looks like the ones who departed and the new customers all knew the landlady so are clearly regulars.

Time for home, 3 new ones and 2 overdue revisits; that'll do.

Pub of the day: Ironman
Beer of the day: Ossett White Rat
Miles walked: 2.0
Merseyside pubs visited in the last five years: 1,022
Maybe coming soon: Undecided

No comments:

Post a Comment