Saturday 12 August 2023

Waterloo

Sorry I've been absent for a few weeks; visiting friends, friends visiting and last weekend a severe attack of cantbebothered combined to create a break but here we go again, off to Waterloo for a Saturday survey.

Town was busy with Evertonians looking forward to the first match of the season, but I was soon on my way north.

My first call was the Railway:

Last time I was hereabouts this place wasn't open so I was chuffed to find it available today.  My recollections from five years ago were that it was a bit of a dump so I was pleased to find a spotless room with excellent decor.   (Actually, having checked my records I find that the scruffy recollections were from twenty odd years ago and it was looking good last time I was here.)

As well as the large room I was in which is knocked round the servery, there is a smaller room with its own counter.  The blinds were drawn in there.

Only one or two other customers were here at two o'clock, plus a few more in the pleasant yard outside, I hope they get more later.

A quick look at Parnell's but it would appear to be shut.  At two on a football Saturday?  I think that means it's no longer operational, or perhaps it's an evenings-only sort of place?
On to the beautiful Volunteer:
This gem continues unchanged, I was really happy to discover, with its historic architecture and quality ale.  Plus table service, is this the only pub to still offer that?  Technically I suppose the answer is no because every Spoons does it if you order on the app, but you know what I mean.

Every time I come here I celebrate the survival of this gorgeous pub, let's hope it continues for ever.  If this were my local I'd abandon the pub guide and just come in here every day!  Thinks... I wonder what property prices are like in Waterloo?

Just a handful of customers on a Saturday afternoon, hardly keeping the barmaid/waitress busy, as I enjoyed my pint of Iceberg in the peace and quiet of the lounge side.

Next a stroll right through Waterloo to the other end, but just for a change I'll go via the back streets and not up the main road.  What's this?  A bar I've never heard of, Paul's Bar L22:
A standard shop conversion this, looking rather good.  No cask so I had Love Lane, always tasty.

The barman (Is it Paul?) was chatting with regulars, jumping up to serve me when I came in.

I looked at the food menu on a blackboard, nibbles, olives, that sort of thing.  I'm guessing Paul, if it is him, would disappear out the back if I ordered some.  But hang on, the only door is to the toilet, so where would he go to?  Come to that, where's the beer?  Six draft beers (actually, one is cider) requires six kegs and there's certainly not room for them behind the counter.

A few minutes later the mystery was resolved when he disappeared down a staircase behind the counter. It looked like that old joke where someone fakes descent of a staircase and ducks down behind the sofa!

I checked the weather radar.  If looks like the forecast heavy rain has failed to materialise.  I could have done my planned Haydock and Earlestown trip today which I rejected because it involved a longish walk in potentially heavy rain.  Next Saturday maybe?  The internet tells me today there is racing at Haydock, so perhaps I dodged a bullet?  See you next weekend.  Maybe.

I carried on on my intended course up to Crosby Road, passing a number of borderline bar/bistro/restaurant locations which I think may merit another visit after some internet research, to the Four Ashes:
What has this place got that raises it above the average micro pub?  I don't know, but it is.  Five cask ales were on, including something I haven't had for some time, a decent pint of Bass.  And it was more than decent, it was perfect.

There were enough people in here for there to be more than one conversation, but still plenty of empty tables for more drinkers to come in.

A friendly popular bar this, with a steady stream of people in and out, most of whom seemed to know the barman and the other customers, with just one solitary pub guide researcher sitting to one side talking to no one!  And listening to everything - You have been warned.

Pub of the day: Volunteer Canteen
Beer of the day: Bass
Miles walked: 1.3
Maybe coming soon: Haydock

No comments:

Post a Comment