Monday 30 March 2020

Lockdown Update

The last two pubs I visited were the Oak Tree and the Swan in Huyton, in the afternoon of "Lockdown Friday", the 20th of March.  The landlady in the Swan was busy putting up Mothering Sunday decorations, not knowing they wouldn't be used.

I was tempted to nip to Wetherspoon's in the evening for a farewell pint or two of decent real ale, but in the end I didn't bother.  I may come to regret that more as the weeks drag on into months.

Today (Monday) I headed into town on the train to visit the Blood Donors.  The city was very quiet, of course, with all pubs shut, but I was particularly concerned to see the Vernon Arms was boarded up - They're obviously not expecting to re-open any time soon, if at all.

By the way, if you're short of supplies, the Lidl on Lime Street had plenty of bread, milk, eggs, rice and toilet rolls, a few bags of pasta and even some antibacterial liquid soap.  And it wasn't busy.

No comments:

Post a Comment