Tuesday 5 February 2019

Not Southport

I had intended a trip to Southport today but luckily my final pre-flight check was to see how the trains were running, which revealed there are no trains to Southport this week.  So I headed to Liverpool instead.

My first target was a long overdue revisit to Peter Kavanagh's:
Happily, this pub hasn't changed since my last visit, it still has the wonderful collection of bric-a-brac covering the walls and ceilings.  On previous occasions I hadn't really appreciated the historic woodwork and leaded glass that would make this place a gem even without the collection.

A number of cask ales were available, I chose something tasty from George Wright.

Only a few customers in, initially all I could hear was quiet conversations, until someone fired up the music - which was pleasantly quiet as well.

Next, the Blackburne Arms:
This is another reliable source of real ale, I forget which I selected but it was excellent.  The one I chose was "a bit lively" so Maggie brought it to my seat once it had settled. 

They obviously aim for dining, in fact I was asked if I was eating when I went to the bar, but there is a drinkers' area at one end of the room.

Custom at one on a Tuesday was a group of diners, a bloke reading the paper, and a pub blogger typing his notes; conversation and music forming the soundtrack.  I sat on a comfortable high-backed bench seat and enjoyed my pint.

I am one of those people who often wonders what would happen if I did something "naughty", but never tries it.  Here, the barmaid went to the ladies, and I contemplated nipping behind the counter and refilling my glass.  I reckon I would have got away with it, but my basic honesty prevented me trying.  And quite right too.

The forecast rain had arrived on time, so it was a quick dash to the Caledonia:
I have previously considered this place a little on the grubby side but I must say it was spotless and tidy today.

I chose a pint of a stout from Northamptonshire and it was excellent, as the beer always has been in here.

A dozen or so customers were filling the echoey room with chatter and mostly drowning out the music.  Unfortunately the place is dog friendly and once one of them started barking, they all did!

Now, on to the Beer Engine, I haven't been in here since 1997, when it was a night club called Plummers:
Rather good modern quirky decor in this enormous open room, which was totally deserted on a Tuesday afternoon.

I stupidly missed the handpumps at the end of the counter and had a schooner of some tasty craft ale, the name of which I forget.  Actually, at this level of custom, cask ale probably wouldn't have been a good idea.

When I said deserted, I wasn't exaggerating, just me and the barmaid in the place.  This made me wonder who would do the cooking if I ordered some food - the menu looked to be quite good value - is there a chef poised in the back?

I relaxed in a comfortable leather sofa and typed this, no-one else came in.  I hope they get more custom at other times, a youth-oriented place serving cask ale is to be commended.

On departure, my trip downstairs to the gents revealed another empty room, and an open kitchen with a chef, answering my earlier question.

I headed on to "Rapid Street", and to a researcher's quandary:  Should I visit the favourite Dispensary, or the overdue for a tick Roscoe Arms.  The two are opposite each other and with a supreme effort of willpower I went in the Roscoe Arms:
Once again I ordered before spotting the handpumps, so I had a half of Carling.  Bombardier and Wainwright were on.

Another deserted place, for most of my stay I was the only customer in the pub.  Pleasant plain decor, clean, tidy and comfortable.

At last, another customer arrived, doubling the trade, and she ordered a pint so actually it was trebling!

Pub of the day: Peter K, obv.
Miles walked: 2.2
Maybe coming soon: Southport, Croxteth

No comments:

Post a Comment