Saturday 17 February 2018

Prescot

The temptation of a new pub nearby was too much, so I headed off on a sunny Saturday morning to Prescot.  The bus took me on a Cook's tour; we passed the Quarry Inn - demolished, the Horseshoe - now a shop, the Penny Black - demolished, the Watchmaker - closed, the Carrs Hotel - still operating, and finally the Red Lion, sadly boarded up.

My first destination was Wetherspoon's Watch Maker, where I started with a minor disagreement with one of the regulars outside who objected to being in my photo.  It wasn't a very good one anyway, with the sun immediately behind the pub and in deference to his wishes I don't include it here.

Inside, the pleasant modern place was busy as always, and I enjoyed a pint of something good by Big Bog from Speke.

Next, the reason for my trip - The Bard:
Opened last Wednesday, this is a classic micropub, a small shop conversion, one comfortable room with plain pastel-coloured walls and pale wood floor.  I was pleased to see there wasn't the excess of Shakespeare stuff on the walls I'd feared, just a couple of quotes.  (For me, if we're considering the greats of English literature, it's Dickens every time!)

The small counter has six handpumps, four were in use and my pint of Melwood Stanley Gold was perfect.  I was surprised how quiet the place was on its first Saturday, I had expected the denizens of Prescot to at least come and have a look, even if they prefer being belligerent outside the 'spoons.

Initially I noted that two staff and three customers is no way to make a successful business long term, but pleasingly quite a few more came in as I enjoyed my pint and by the time I'd finished there was a throng at the bar and no free tables.

If I had to make a criticism, the place looks a bit plain from the outside, with an "Is it open?" feeling, and I wonder if a neon "Open" sign, while definitely spoiling the pleasing frontage, might encourage more passing trade.  Mind you, if it's this busy regularly there's no need.

On to the Hope and Anchor:
A little down market this one, and yet pleasant and well cared for, the knocked through interior is partly stone-floored.

In here there were just a few regulars chatting and keeping the place ticking over nicely, and more customers came in as I swigged my Guinness.  

Finally, the Old Mill:
This pub has a chequered history; before my time the Victoria was reportedly the roughest pub in Prescot, and Nelly Kelly's was horrible, but when it became the Old Mill it was much better.  Initially it had real ale but on my previous visit in 2004 that had gone.  I was therefore pleased and a little surprised to see three handpumps this time, and the Hydes brew I chose was spot on.

A steady stream of customers kept the place busy, but no-one joined me in the quiet corner as I enjoyed my pint and watched footie on a TV channel where the adverts were in some peculiar non-western script.  I hope I don't get the pub in trouble for reporting this!

The site is surrounded by hoardings for the construction of the new Shakespeare North Playhouse.  Am I alone in seeing the irony of constructing this in Knowsley, the only education authority in the country where there are no places for A-level students.  Surely we could make better use of the money?

Coming soon:  As already intimated, a place with three pubs I've never been to;  it's been accorded the honour of a whole chapter in the guide.  But I don't expect any decent ale (Although you never know...)

No comments:

Post a Comment