Thursday 5 September 2013

Good Beer Guide 2014

The new edition arrived today and I quickly rushed to check the Merseyside changes where I found 17 pubs removed, and 17 added.

Perhaps the most shocking change is the removal of the Ship and Mitre, but to be honest the last pint I had in there, a couple of weeks ago, was somewhat mediocre, so perhaps they had it coming.

Those who like a bit of variation in their pubs will be disappointed to learn that no less than six of the new entries are Wetherspoon's branches.  Personally I'm quite a 'Spoons fan, but we all know what to expect in one so I sometimes think it's a bit of a waste of space describing them in the book.

Anyway, as I say every year, for full details you'll have to buy the book.

3 comments:

  1. Martin, Cambridge6 September 2013 at 17:55

    Hi Phil

    My copy still hasn't arrived which is a bit depressing as I always look forward to visiting the new entries in September.

    Slightly disagree about Wetherspoons; if the local branch is using beer quality as it's criteria (as leaving out the Ship would suggest), it's right that it includes Spoons if they provide the best beer. Mersey branch have always been advocates of the beer scores system for all it's subjectivity. I've been a bit surprised to see Hungry Horses, Conservative Clubs and offices in the guide over the years but they generally justify their selection.

    All the best.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry, no criticism of Wetherspoon's beer quality was intended. I just wonder if a list - "The following Wetherspoon's branches are recommended:", would save enough space for a few more other pubs.

      Delete
  2. Martin, Cambridge6 September 2013 at 20:57

    I'd be happy to see more pubs in the Beer Guide if quality is good enough, but you could equally argue that, say, Thwaites pubs, should be noted only as you know what you get there as well, and some people will happily sacrifice character for a big beer range.

    I like the blog, by the way. Good to see some coverage of Halton pubs !

    ReplyDelete