Thursday 14 April 2011

Red Biddy

17 across in today's Times Crossword:
"Extremely cheap booze embarrassed old woman (3,5)". Easy peasy - it's Red Biddy.

This set me thinking, what exactly is Red Biddy? I vaguely remember it being on sale in Yates's Wine Lodges, but I never drank any. Google was unusually totally useless, suggesting a mixture of red wine and methylated spirits, which I don't think Yates's would be allowed to sell!

Actually, it would appear to be an Australian fortified red wine, the red equivalent of the more well known Aussie White, which I have enjoyed in Yates's on occasion.

Does anyone know if the modern tarted up Yates's still sell either of these?

6 comments:

  1. Christy Moore referrs to it in one of his songs,Missing You, but I think he is referring to red wine and meths, not a trip to Yates wine lodge.

    ReplyDelete
  2. In Yates Wine Lodge Red Biddy was red wine and grape brandy, it set your candle alight on a cold day I can tell you. Not sure they still sell it. Red Biddy the original is methylated/surgical spirit mixed with red wine, 'Tay gi'it a wee lift!' Mac

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for that. So I was wrong about the Aussie wine.

      Delete
  3. They used to sell it down Mo's on London road in the 90s, didn't mess about that's for sure.

    Here's what the bottle looked like-
    https://ibb.co/PN2xQ9m

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for that. So I was right, it is Australian fortified red wine. In recent times I've seen Aussie White once or twice but not Red Biddy.

      Delete
  4. Red Biddy could refer either to the cheap wine, or to the mixture of the cheap wine with meths.

    ReplyDelete