Tuesday 26 October 2010

Cafe Culture?

Yesterday morning I wandered into Wetherspoon's on Charlotte Street just before nine in the morning, and I found "cafe culture" in full swing. There were a couple of boozers (Or three if you include me.) in, but a couple of dozen people taking breakfast, drinking tea and coffee.

This reminds me of the excellent cafe/bars one finds on the continent where people come for coffee and croissants in the morning and return for beer in the evening. If you stay in a cheap hotel in Belgium you'll often find yourself joining the regulars in the bar for breakfast.

So, is Wetherspoon's move to seven a.m. opening a step towards 24 hour pubs? The difficult part is how you make the transition between a pub full of drunks at two a.m. and the pleasant atmosphere I found in the morning. Or would the drunks gradually stagger away as the night progressed?

No comments:

Post a Comment