Thursday 22 August 2024

Slater Street

Not a pub survey, just a shopping trip in town, or at least that was the plan, but I couldn't resist the latest addition to the 1936 Pub Company's chain of wonderful places (e.g. Vines, White Hart, Queen of Hope Street, etc etc)  So I headed up Duke Street to the Monro:

This was a foodie pub which nevertheless offered decent cask ale when I last visited back in 2007.  Subsequently it went more food oriented so I didn't go again.  It closed last year, I think, but has now been resurrected by the aforementioned group.

How to describe the interior?  Someone went round with a sledgehammer and knocked the walls back to bare plaster or brick, and removed most of the ceiling.  I think they also knocked through into next door, I don't remember it being this big.  They then added tankards, jugs and bedwarmers hanging from the ceiling beams, brewery signage on the walls and so on.  I don't think I've described it very well, you really need to come and have a look.  I really love it, anyway!

At three on a Thursday it was ticking over gently.  There was a very long row of handpumps on the counter but I didn't look further than perennial favourite White Rat.

Once again the team responsible are to be congratulated for creating another wonderful pub.

Next, on to what used to be Slaters Bar, now Lanigans of Slater Street:

I can't recall what Slaters Bar was like when I visited in 2003 but my notes suggest I wasn't very impressed.  Moving on twenty one years, I found a long narrow room very well fitted out in a sort of church style with wooden floors, pews and even a pulpit.  Every inch of wall is filled with stained glass style pictures of famous Irish people.  Very pleasant.

I was the only customer for most of the time I was here, so I enjoyed my Guinness in solitude.  I bet it's busier later. At least I hope so. 

How embarrassing!  I looked up what my pub guide said about Slaters Bar only to find a spelling mistake which has been there since 2003 and therefore in every printed edition as well:  "... as I had been lead to expect."  Ouch!

Just across the road is another long overdue target, the Jacaranda:

A pleasant bar where I had another Guinness.  There were many more customers than over the road for some reason, so the music mixed with gentle chatter here. 

Again, I can't recall my 2003 tick.  Upstairs is now a record shop, I think, and I'm guessing the live music is in the basement later.  Comfortable and pleasant now anyway. 

At this point I realised my "not a pub survey" plan had failed, so let's get another overdue tick in, Cheers Big Ears:

Last time I was here it was the Crafty Chandler and in 2018 they offered cask ale.  No handpumps were visible in the latest incarnation so I had a very nice Neck Oil.

Only two other customers at almost five on a Thursday, I thought this was supposed to be the new Friday, in which case where is everyone? 

I was pleased to find the test match on some of the tellies, so I could watch England who seemed to be doing OK at Old Trafford. 

It was rather chilly in here, I think in view of the autumnal weather they could have closed some of the doors.  I bet the Sri Lankans are suffering in Manchester.

Outside, groups of drinkers were commencing the evening's festivities, eventually one or two came in here, and then some more.

Pub of the day: Monro, of course.
Beer of the day: White Rat
Miles walked: 2.7
Maybe coming soon: Lark Lane, Cantril Farm, Southport

No comments:

Post a Comment