Wednesday 7 August 2024

Frankby and Irby

I looked at the weather forecast and initially decided to cancel my rural walk today, but on reflection I went anyway, carrying a coat and an umbrella just in case. 

I started with a long bus ride to Frankby where I missed the intended bus stop giving me a longer walk to the first pub.  I strolled along a narrow footpath between fields and the cemetery, and I noticed some piles of horse manure.  I wonder what the protocol is if I meet a horse, the path is too narrow to pass, especially for someone who has never been close to a horse.  Can horses back up or do I have to?  I didn't find out and soon reached my first target, the Farmers Arms:

At first glance the closed front door suggested the place might be shut, but then I realised the car park was full. 

This old building with a very pleasant interior and patio is mainly a gastro pub but they have a bar area for drinkers.  One might have expected cask ale in a place like this but no, so I had a Guinness instead.

Since my previous visit twelve years ago it had become the Old Rathbone which seemed more biased towards posh dining, but I never came here to check.  In 2019 it reverted to the original name, and after some problems during COVID it seems to be going strong.

At half past one it was fairly quiet, but not deserted, in fact I would say it was doing well for a Wednesday.  Diners and drinkers kept things moving at the counter.  More diners arrived and sat outside, despite the darkling sky threatening rain.  [First time I've used darkling in anything I've written, I think, poetry or what?!]

I didn't see a menu, but the food coming out looked tasty. 

Now, a walk down country roads to the next target.  The road has no pavement which was a little scary but to be fair every car slowed down and gave me plenty of room.  Soon I had reached the Irby Mill:

A wonderful pub, this.  Again aiming at diners to some extent, perhaps, but most of the people I could see in the antique multi room interior were here for a drink.  Five cask ales were on offer, including a very good Irby Mill Blonde brewed by Peerless.

There isn't much more to say about this gem, perhaps I could add that the gentle background music was drowned by cheerful chatter.  I could also hear sports commentary of some sort, presumably on a telly I couldn't see. 

A longer walk of 1.3 miles next, Google Maps wants me to take a footpath, shall I risk it?  Of course. The Port Sunlight fiasco is long forgotten.  This route turned out to be a very pleasant stroll through the woods.  It looked vaguely familiar, I think I walked this way six years ago.

Soon enough I reached my next target, the Cottage Loaf:

Another fine pub, Greene King branded.  There's not much historic inside, it has been knocked through and thoroughly modernised.

Most of the customers seemed to be just drinking, I suppose at half past three it is hardly peak food time.  The menu of pub standards is at the more expensive end of the range, fish and chips £13.99.

From the two handpumps I selected Greene King Abbot.  It was the wonderful toffee flavoured version that I also enjoyed in Blacklers on Monday.  It often surprises me that Abbot, which given its ubiquity ought to be the epitome of consistent factory produced real ale, is so variable; sometimes it's a gorgeous hefty bitter, and sometimes it is that but with the addition of a wonderful toffee smell and taste.  Personally, I love the normal one and the occasional toffee one is even better.

I have to say, I was pleased to get a proper seat in here, in the last two pubs I had been perched at high tables. 

Just as I left home this morning, my internet went down.  It looks like it's a significant outage at Huyton exchange, I keep checking for restoration of service, but nothing so far. Is it a coincidence that the departure screens at Huyton station were all off line when I got there?

I didn't see any cask pulled while I was here, they should be congratulated for maintaining the quality with limited demand. 

At the end of the counter was a gizmo that looked like a large rice steamer, but in fact it held two goldfish; how unusual!

Only shorter walks remain, it is not too far to the Anchor Inn:

Another pleasant country pub, again food oriented but welcoming drinkers. 

Ouch, cod and chips is £17.75 here, that's pushing it a bit.  My excellent pint of Landlord was £5.75 as well.

So, very pleasant but expensive is, I think, a good summary.  The traditionally styled interior is probably mostly fake but it is very attractive.

As I looked around I couldn't see anyone eating, but it is half past four, I imagine there will be plenty of dining later. 

The rain hadn't arrived yet and, once again, plenty of people were sitting outside.  Inside, the muzac was very quiet, almost inaudible, most of what I could hear was very gentle conversations. 

Still no home internet; I was talking to a friend on Saturday and he asked how my Zen fibre internet was going, I said it hasn't ever failed.  Tempting fate or what!

Just a short walk to the final target, the Shippons:

Something of a disappointment here, the Thwaites Original clip was turned round, leaving no cask ale.  I had a Carling.  My notes record that last time I was here, in June 2018, cask ale was also unavailable. 

Another food oriented place, perhaps less up market and certainly cheaper than the Anchor:  Fish and chips is only £8.45, that's less than half the Anchor price!  It's a flat rate for all the main courses, a bit disconcerting when I looked at the menu and there were no prices, until I looked at the top where it said two courses £11.99, one course £8.45.

Less up market maybe, but still a very pleasant pub, looking round I could see families and groups who have come for food, and other groups just here for a drink.  The staff were busily dealing with all the customers. 

Despite the threatening weather forecast I kept dry throughout this great pub crawl.  Three quality cask ales, five pleasant pubs, what more could one ask for.

Pub of the day: Irby Mill
Beer of the day: Irby Mill Blonde
Miles walked: 3.7
Maybe coming soon: Southport, Cantril Farm

No comments:

Post a Comment