Saturday 24 June 2023

Picton Road

The plan for today was to do a few required ticks along Picton Road, but it occurred to me this morning that there is one other target nearby, so having got the train to Wavertree I headed away from Picton to Mill Lane where I was pleased to find the Mill Lane Sports Bar:

When I was last here, in January 1999, it was called The Sportsman and I described it as a "fairly new flat house".  It was renamed McGinty's in the mid 2000s but I never got round to revisiting.  It took on its current name in the last twelve months.

What I found today was a large open shop (shops, in fact) conversion with pleasant plain grey and white decor.  It's very well cared for in here.

Just two pool players and I forming the custom at one on a Saturday, the main sound was ITV on the tellies.

I noticed some pretty hefty speakers mounted on the walls, I imagine it can be a bit noisy in here at busy times.

Now, thanks to my changed plan I have a long walk down to Picton, to the Coffee House.  Will I get a better result than last month?
(Picture from last time)  Yes!  It's open.

The interior remains as wonderful as always, albeit in need of a slight tidy up in some places - The bench seat I chose had a tear covered in gaffer tape.

Three handpumps but no clips, so I had a second Carling.

There were two other customers sitting at the counter, but at least one of them turned out to be staff (or landlady?) so not very busy in here!  Later another customer arrived, but his half and my pint are hardly going to keep the business afloat.  I really hope it's busier later because this beautiful place needs to keep going.

Two young girls came in, but they seemed to be family rather than customers, so once again no useful income.  Then, a lad came in from the back door carrying a number of empties, so clearly there are slightly more customers than I thought, probably outside in the garden.

My mind wandered; I recall meeting in here many years ago, probably on a Friday night, for a get together with work colleagues.  It was very busy - Standing room only - What a contrast to today.  Maybe it's still busy on a Friday night; I hope so.

Two consecutive cash only pubs, contactless hasn't quite taken over yet.

Next, the excellent Edinburgh:

This wonderful gem of a pub hidden in a side street continues unchanged.  About a dozen customers made it the busiest place so far today, and everyone I could see was on real ale.  (Except the dog who was suffering a little from the humid weather, panting and guzzling water from the bowl on the floor.)

I've probably said it before but how does this gem survive in this area of lager drinkers?  I suppose I've answered my own question there; the only handpumps in quite a large radius will draw enough people in.

I enjoyed a great pint of favourite White Rat and listened to the silence of a pub with no music.  Just quiet conversations could be heard.  As soon as I typed that music started, some unobtrusive classical guitar.

No need to wait till I get home to decide the beer of the day and pub of the day!

Finally, further along Picton Road towards town is the Wellington:
The plain but nicely done interior is knocked through around the servery but retains three separate areas.  Only a handful of customers but hang on a minute - who's that behind the counter?  Yes, it's the barmaid from the Coffee House.  "Hello again" says I.  She wasn't serving, just visiting.  The actual barmaid soon poured me a Carling, serving two customers at once - A skill that seems to be becoming rarer these days.  (I also observed the "same again" skill, clearly this young lady has some bartending talent.  Even the ability to fill two glasses at once seems to be getting less common.)

The signage described the end of the room across from me as "pisshead corner" and "bullshit corner".  Both valid comments about me after a few pints, some would say, perhaps I should go and sit under the signs?

All in all, this is a rather fine boozer, friendly staff and regulars resulting in a comfortable atmosphere.

As I neared the end of my pint a large gang of regulars came in, making the pub a lot busier.  They all settled in one of the back areas, leaving me and one local to occupy the front in peace.

Strange scenes you see in pubs number 647:  Young lad grumbles about the heat and says he'll have to go home for a shower.  Barmaid disappears behind the bar and returns with some scented antiperspirant and some men's perfume.  Young lad applies same and thanks her.  That's what I call service!

Pub of the day: Edinburgh
Beer of the day: White Rat
Miles walked: 2.2
Maybe coming soon: To be decided.

No comments:

Post a Comment