Saturday 10 June 2023

Birkenhead Survivors

Time to visit some Birkenhead pubs last ticked in early 2018.  I wonder how many of them have survived?  I started in the Park View:

A plain well cared for two sided boozer, ticking over with half a dozen regulars chatting in the bar side.  Silent racing on most TVs, Now 80s playing gently on the other.

It was pleasant in here after the bright sunshine outside, at the back of the bar side where I sat they had left the shutters down creating a cool dark oasis.

One survivor out of one so far, but I must confess I was not expecting to maintain that level of success.

Next, a quick photo of the Grand Trunk which I had noted as closed in 2014.  I last drank in there in 2003 when my notes recorded a plain but pleasant one bar pub, knocked through with arches.

On to the Myrtle, but the barman says they'll be open in half an hour so next door is Christies Bar:

Knocked through into one open room, this is a basic friendly locals' boozer, with quite a lot of noise from two dozen regulars chatting, singing along with the music and heckling the pool players.

I repeat my comments from five years ago:  How on earth do two "ordinary" pubs survive next door to each other here in this industrial wasteland, there don't seem to be enough residential properties around here to provide the custom for one, let alone two.  Still, here we are, there are lots of pubs in areas with plenty of housing who'd kill for this crowd at two on non-football Saturday.

One of the gang fired up the jukebox.  "Summer The First Time".  Is it just me or is that the most erotic song to ever hit the charts?  Perhaps it's all in my head?  (Oh all right, Serge Gainsbourg and Jane Birkin.)

Now, back to the Myrtle:

Only one or two customers in here but at least it's open now, and I was soon served a pint of fizz.  There was a distinct smell of fresh paint so I took a seat in the quiet side rather gingerly, checking the paint on the seat back was dry!  Unfortunately, I didn't check the floor and as soon as I had sat down I was chased out (apologetically) by the boss who said it was still wet.  I hope I didn't spoil their varnish with my size tens.  With no seats available I retreated to the plain beer yard where there was one table out of the sun.

After a few minutes half a dozen drinkers came out to join me in the yard, it's good to see what looks like a family group out for a Saturday afternoon and supporting this boozer.

The pool players just inside the door seemed to get rather noisy, but it was all humorous rather than angry.

Can I find the gents without spoiling the floor?  Yes.

I wandered on through industrial Birkenhead.  I recall a Thursday evening pub survey around here probably thirty years ago when we watched a group of ladies being loaded into a police van.  We didn't know for certain why, but we could make a good guess.  As I headed towards my destination I noted a very attractive blonde in a short dress who seemed to be hanging about on a street corner fiddling with her phone.  Could she be?  On a Saturday afternoon?  One shouldn't assume nor judge, but if she was lost perhaps I should stop and offer my assistance.  On the other hand, that could get me into trouble.

Next, the Vittoria Vaults:

Here I discovered a hopefully rare mistake in my database, I was about to turn left after the young lady when I spotted the pub in the other direction.  Needless to say, by the time you read this the location on the map will have been corrected.

Wow, four out of four, to be honest I had expected one or more to have closed over the last five years.  It's as if COVID never happened.

A couple of dozen customers were maintaining the level of chatter, with music very much in the background.

Just as I noted five years ago this is the most pleasant of today's four ticks.  Partly knocked through but still retaining four separate areas, the perfectly cared for interior really is an exemplar other pubs should copy.

Now, to end the day can I get a new tick?  I have walked past the Sea Dog on a number of occasions and it has always looked like an operational pub but not been open.  If I get the same result at four on a Saturday, I think I'll give up:

OK, that's it!  The lights are off and nobody's home.  I'm marking it as closed in my database.

Pub of the day: Vittoria Vaults
Beer of the day: Carling
Miles walked: 1.8
Maybe coming soon: Picton

No comments:

Post a Comment