I headed to Old Swan for a few required ticks, starting at the Millfield Inn. But it isn't there any more. Instead I found what I think is the same location, signed as a "Bakery club" but the shutters were down so I don't know what that is. Google hasn't heard of it.
Next Hoggin's:
Very hard to photograph in Saturday afternoon traffic!
This is a plain nicely done out shop conversion. The population of four or five regulars were a little noisy as I enjoyed my Guinness. (No aggro, just a lot of cheerful shouting.)
This place was a pleasant surprise five years ago when I didn't know it existed. It carries on pretty much the same in 2026.
The music was a odd mix including Irish comedy, folk music both Irish and Kate Rusby, and then Ave Maria. Not too loud so no complaints.
Next, a short stroll northwards to Cask:
For some reason I haven't visited this excellent place since 2017 - A very foolish omission.
Thirty seconds after opening time (I had wondered if I would have to wait, but the door was open.) there were no other customers. I selected a pint of not seen before Moorhouses NZ Pale, which was excellent.
I wondered when customer number two would come in. The answer was 15:12, number three at 15:16.
This is a pleasant shop conversion nicely decorated. The diorama around the top of the walls that I had admired nine years ago has gone, although the long shelf seems to have survived. I seem to recall it was busy in here last time, unlike today.
I got chatting to one of the regulars and once he had spotted the book I had casually laid on the table I got a number of updates for my database. Most interesting, perhaps, was the news that the Angel on Bold Street is now open.
Back to Old Swan next, and the Old Tavern:
Well, this is a bit different compared with the previous two visits. Because it is busy. Not so packed I couldn't get a seat, so I was happy.
I eyed up the range of standard kegs and chose cider for a change. South West Orchards, it said on the glass, and I must say it was rather good.
There was sixtieth birthday celebration, the twenty or thirty people were what was making the place feel full. If I could have got that many people to celebrate my sixtieth I would have been very happy - And very surprised!
What next? I have done the three main targets around here, but there are plenty of other pubs that are technically not "required". I think I might treat myself to the Wetherspoon so I can finish with another decent ale. So, on to the Navigator:
And you can't get much better than Jaipur! And only £1.90 with a CAMRA voucher. The spoons was, as one might expect at five on a Saturday, pretty busy. Although not so full that I couldn't get a seat and a table. The soundtrack here was simply lots of cheerful chatter. Drinkers were drinking, diners were dining, everyone was happy and comfortable. What more could one ask for?
It occurred to me that I ought to bring an audio recorder one day, this sound is not as common as it used to be. It has been the soundtrack to some of the best parts of my life and I need to preserve it before it is gone for ever. On the other hand, you need the smells and other senses, so maybe just a sound recording wouldn't be enough?
Time for home, three required ticks, two real ales, that'll do!
Beer of the day: Jaipur
Miles walked: 2.4
Merseyside pubs visited in the last five years: 1,020
Maybe coming soon: Crosby




No comments:
Post a Comment