Wednesday 23 October 2024

Mostly Heswall

Another sunny October day saw me taking multiple trains en route to Heswall.  I started with a glance at the Glegg Arms which is no longer a pub:

On the other side of the roundabout is the Devon Doorway:

Inside the attractive building with thatched roof is a very well appointed up market restaurant.  However, one side of the room is allocated to drinkers and the waitress guarding the door transformed into a barmaid when I said I only wanted a drink.

There were three handpumps on the counter, but all the clips were turned round, so I selected Neck Oil.  Ouch, £7.10!

At two on a Wednesday the restaurant was surprisingly busy, although having said that everyone was concentrated in the front room and the larger dining area behind appeared empty.  Just four drinkers in the non-dining part.  My table didn't have a food menu so I can't comment on that.

Next, I headed into the middle of Heswall where I had a number of overdue ticks on my list.  This meant I had to walk past some good places (Beer Lab, Bow Legged Beagle, Hydes' Harry Beswick, and so on.)

Eventually, just across the road from the Wetherspoon I reached Otto Lounge:

This pleasant modern cafe/bar in one large room is very well decorated in an eclectic style. The art deco lampshades suspended from modern cable ducts is a weird combination.  Nearby the lighting is from heavy duty faux-industrial units. The giant windows along the front wall create a fine open feeling.  I really like the overall effect. 

I was supposed to choose a table before ordering, but "that one there" sufficed and I soon had a pint of Cruzcampo.  "Only" £5.45 this time.

Another place busier than I expected, the room was filled with mixed chatter from a number of groups.  Including a gang of new mothers, complete with offspring.  I imagine when I was six months old holding such a get together in a bar would have been frowned upon, luckily we live in more enlightened times.  Although if the current puritanical lot in charge had their way we'd soon go back to the dark ages.

Resisting a visit to the spoons over the road, I headed on to Barcode:

There's something special about this micro pub.  With no pretensions to cask ale, it is a perfect example of an "ordinary boozer" with a friendly barmaid chatting with the cheerful regulars and serving pints of Carling, Madri, and so on.  I felt I'd moved from posh back to the real world.  Do I sound like an inverted snob? 

Good grief, my Carling was £2.50, what a contrast with the previous two places!

I tried to listen in to the chatter, but we're too far from home for me to follow.  When they refer to the Big House it's not the Vines, but somewhere nearer here. 

Next, on to the Harvest Mouse.  I walked up the road.  I paused; am I going the right way, I should be able to see it by now?  And then I discovered it has lost its sails:

No, it is not a windmill, it never was a windmill.  It was built in 1980 as a destination pub.  I've not really forgiven them for that dishonesty and I have to say it's a greater disappointment that it is not even a fully equipped fake windmill now! 

Never mind. Inside is a pleasant contemporary dining pub, with Flaming Grill branding.  I selected Landlord from the small range of cask on offer and it was spot on. 

By now it is four in the afternoon, perhaps a bit early for the dinner rush but nonetheless there are plenty of people in here.  A poor choice of table meant I couldn't spy on who was eating or drinking.

Finally, a long walk to Irby, where my recent visit missed a newly opened pub because I didn't know about it.  To save my feet, perhaps there is a bus?  Yes, in just a couple of minutes; can I visit the gents and get to the stop in time?  I did, so it was an easy ride to Crafty Tavern:

A standard conversion of two shop units, I think, with two hand pumps on the counter.  I chose Plum and Raisin Porter from Spitting Feathers, which was very good but not the all time great I was hoping for.  Was it past its best?  Probably not, just a little less plum and raisin than I would have liked.

Sadly, I was the only customer, no wonder these places don't have longer hours.  I had a good chat with the barman about local pubs, and my guide. He suggested I should have a table at a beer festival and sell copies of the book.

Eventually one other customer arrived, choosing a bottle of something Belgian from the fridge.  Was it Delerium Red?  If so, gorgeous!  Before I'd finished my pint he chose another bottle, no idea what but it wasn't a common one or at least it wasn't one I recognised, clearly a man of taste! 

Time for another bus to take me towards home.  A very good day's research including one brand new one.

Pub of the day: Crafty Tavern
Beer of the day: Landlord
Miles walked: 2.5
Maybe coming soon: Kirkdale, Birkenhead

No comments:

Post a Comment