Saturday 7 September 2024

Billinge

An opportunity arose when friends visiting me were heading off to Bryn, so would be driving through Billinge.  Normally this is a train ride followed by a bus ride away, so it would be foolish not accept a free lift.  Thanks to Tony and Karyn I was soon dropped off at the Eagle & Child:

Sadly this plain pleasant pub has lost its real ale since I was last here, in 2018.  Even more sadly, there were no other customers at half two on a Saturday, which doesn't bode well for the long term survival of this one that, for reasons I can't put my finger on, I really like.  Is it just the attractive exterior? 

As I sank my Carling one or two other customers appeared, I think there were some in the back garden.

I checked my database; there are five Merseyside pubs called Eagle and Child, it is of course the crest of the Stanley family, Earls of Derby. 

Just across the road is the Stork Inn, sadly (I must stop writing sadly) closed for some years, with redevelopment work proceeding very slowly if at all:

Heading down the hill we reach the Foresters Arms:

Something of a plain down market place, this one, but clean and tidy, friendly and welcoming, and with a lot more customers than the previous call.

Quiet sports commentary, I don't know which sport (Probably rugby?), was mostly overpowered by gentle conversations as I enjoyed a second Carling.

I passed by the Billinge Arms, saved for later, and on down a tiny side road to the lovely Masons Arms:

What a fine pub this is.  Despite being "in the middle of nowhere"  (So much so that CAMRA don't even know which county it is in!) it is much busier than the previous calls.  There can't be any passing trade, so everyone is here because it's a great pub. 

Four handpumps on the counter, I selected Moorhouse's Premier, a rather excellent traditional bitter which I don't think I've tried before. 

Multiple conversations were the main sound in here, I think the rugby might have been audible in the background.  There was some kind of live music going on at the back of the pub, audible when I went to the gents and from the street, but undetectable inside the pub itself. 

Back in the light rain up to Billinge's main street, and in to the aforementioned Billinge Arms:

A hubbub of activity in here with some kind of function going on out the back, but no problem getting served by the efficient busy bar staff, and no problem getting a table inside the main room.

The restaurant at the side has reverted to Italian again, I think, it's called Bellinis.  They also do food in the pub part, I didn't read the menus but the specials board looked very tempting.  I'm not sure if it's part of the same operation?

It is nearly five on a Saturday evening now, and this pub is showing how things should be done, with a continuous stream of customers at the counter keeping the staff busy, plus a regular flow of food coming out of the kitchen. 

I felt a little guilty occupying a whole booth table as the place got busier, but I was here first!

Pub of the day: Masons Arms
Beer of the day: Moorhouse's Premier
Miles walked: 1.7
Maybe coming soon: Cantril Farm, Kirkdale, Southport

2 comments:

  1. Hah, I was in the Masons watching the rugby yesterday, shame I didn’t see you! The Eagle has definitely fallen a long way since Covid, I blame the clueless pub company (same one that owned and subsequently closed the Stork).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was the one typing on a tablet! Perhaps someone can save the Eagle, too late for the Stork.

      Delete