Saturday 15 July 2023

Litherland and Bootle

Dodging heavy showers I headed for Litherland, starting in the Railway:

I stepped over the Threlfall's mosaic in the doorway and into an interior mostly knocked through but with a small side room (I could see a dartboard), plain, pleasant and well maintained.  Music mixed with cheerful conversations and the occasional click of pool balls.

About half a dozen customers, plus two smoking in the front yard, not bad for one on a Saturday nowadays.  There was a trickle of arrivals and departures, some of whom only came for a word with the landlady.

Next, the Red Lion:

This place can't have survived lockdown, I thought, but no, it's open.  A single room in one end of the massive building, very well done out with barrels supporting the high tables, and some rough wood on the counter face.

Sadly only three other customers, and one of those finished his pint and departed while i enjoyed my second Carling of the day.

The remainder of the large impressive building (Dating from 1906) is boarded up, as it was last time I was here if I recall correctly.  If only someone could come up with a use for it...  But what?

Next, a picture of the former Stockwell Mount:
This place had an absolutely fantastic collection of bric-a-brac when I visited in 2004, I recall a control desk from a tram and a Darth Vader helmet.

Has anyone stayed in the hotel?  I'm guessing they don't still have the collection?

On under the long closed (I travelled on it in 1981) Bootle to Aintree railway and to the Saltbox:

Inside the rather fine building is a good interior. Nothing special in the decor, perhaps, but it is really well maintained, no hints of worn seats or carpet, nor tired paintwork.  It's hard to put my finger on it, but everything just says "carefully looked after" in here.

The lounge side is mostly knocked through, and there's an equally well done bar side as well.

A dozen or more regulars were keeping the place going at half two, their chat drowning out the quiet music.

At least two different channels were visible on the tellies, as well a one displaying a plain blue screen.  The ones with pictures were golf and horses.  Speaking of golf, aren't they coming to Hoylake soon?  No trains to West Kirby!

As I enjoyed another Carling the room seemed to get a lot darker.  Am I going to get wet?

Happily no, and I strolled on to the Pacific which has retained its Threlies mural:
Now here's a geographical dilemma for the pub cataloguer:  The sign showing you're entering Litherland is right outside the door, halfway along the frontage!  I think I'll leave it in Bootle.

Another plain but very well maintained boozer, knocked through creating one large open space, occupied by a dozen or two regulars whose conversations were louder than the music.

I settled in a quiet corner of the room to enjoy yet another Carling.  I think I've asked before, can I get them to sponsor this blog?  Or Guinness?

A steady stream of customers aged from six to older than me were keeping this pub going.

Now it's time to head for home, but can I manage the long walk to Bootle and the train ride to Central without a toilet break?  Why don't I tick another pub near the station for a PNB?  [Railway terminology:  Personal Needs Break*]
Which pub?  The former Wetherspoon's is open again, or the Adison next door is overdue for a visit.

But wait!
Before I get to Bootle I have to pass the PSD Sports Lounge, last time I was here I decided it was just a snooker hall and not a pub - If I recall correctly there was a big sign saying members only.  But this time I wandered in and found I was welcome to buy a pint and sit in the bar area.

Of the substantial number of customers, only one plus I were drinkers, the rest were playing pool, snooker or darts.  (Hence the name)

So, my previous recording of this place as closed has to be rescinded.  Mind you, the sign from which I learned the new name says "1. Membership cards will be needed to enter the club."  so perhaps I shouldn't claim it as a tick?  On the other hand, I've had a drink so it's in.

I watched Sky Sports News on the giant telly.  Apparently an expensive transfer between football teams is more important than an unseeded woman winning Wimbledon.  I think that says something about the priorities of sports in the UK.  (But what do I know?)

I looked around. Lots of people playing pool, darts, and, in the large hall, snooker.  I feel a little guilty sitting here with no intention of participation!

It must be time for home now?  Yes.  Another survey covering traditional boozers, all surviving and in some cases doing well post COVID.  The media and all the chat says these places have had it and I must say it's good news that that's not the case.

* Just to be clear, no train driver would ever use a pub for a PNB, in fact that's probably a sackable offence.

Pub of the day: Salt Box
Beer of the day: Carling
Miles walked: 1.8
Maybe coming soon: Cronton

4 comments:

  1. I'm sorry I've neglected your blog, Phil; any article working out the necessity of a toilet break with Carling as beer of the day is essential reading.

    Shamefully, I've never heard of Cronton.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do seem to drink a lot of Carling.
      Unfortunately, you're not going to hear of Cronton any time soon as my visit to the two pubs there turned in to a reunion with former work colleagues, so I never made any notes. No Carling this time, both had quality cask.

      Delete
    2. Can't you make it up like I do, no-one will suspect !

      Delete