Tuesday 19 February 2019

A Few in Town

Pub surveying is currently severely disrupted due to family commitments, but I managed to escape for a quick trip to town, starting at the relatively new Port Bar on London Road:
Here I found bright cheerful quirky decor with walls of corrugated iron and shipping containers, and lots of bare chipboard.  They've also got a genuine-looking railway colour light signal.

When I arrived there were just two women sitting at a table, one was the barmaid.  Two unexpected handpumps on the counter, but both had clips reversed, so I had a Blue Moon for a change.

Two blokes came in, and took lots of pictures of the interior, before settling down for some beers.  Owners planning a redecoration?  I don't think it needs it, the place is immaculate.

I noticed a "25% off for NHS staff" sign, obviously hoping to attract people from the Royal up the road.  That's an impressive discount; how about 25% off for pub bloggers?  But then my review might be biased. 

Doubling back down London Road I called in to Paddy's Bar:
The first time I came here it was a classic scruffy smokey boozer called Dixie Dean's, busy with drunks.  Needless to say, it's not like that now.  Clean and tidy with the walls covered in Irish stuff, and with only two other customers.

The sound in here was racing from Fontainbleu, hasn't English racing restarted yet?

The two other drinkers left to find their hotel, so it was just me and the barman.

Next, a few doors down is the Lord Warden:
This used to be regular haunt of mine, a group of us failing to win the quiz for week after week (We suspected the landlord's mates always won!)  The real ale was usually good.

Today I found no real ale, just two naked handpumps, so it was a half of lager for me.

Only two or three regulars were scattered around the pleasant well cared for interior, the sound was just the music.

After a bit of shopping I headed for another never-visited location, Brownlows Inn:
Here I found a plain well done corridor bar, busy with regulars.  A bit of a theme today, two handpumps on the counter, but no real ale.  I'm not sure how long this has been a pub, it must be at least ten years, but I've never got around to visiting before.

The music mixed with cheerful chatter from the regulars, creating a comfortable friendly atmosphere.  I could see racing (From Wetherby, answering my previous question.) on the telly, but no-one seemed to be watching it.

The "salesman" in here was offering an anorak.  That's a new one!

There was a tray of sandwiches on the counter, but I wasn't sure if one had to wait for the cover to be lifted.  Eventually one of the regulars helped himself, clarifying the protocol.  I resisted, nonetheless.

Pub of the day: The Lord Warden, for its pleasant comfortable interior.
Miles walked: 1.8 miles, but most of that was for the shopping.
Maybe coming soon: To be honest, I don't know.

No comments:

Post a Comment