Tuesday 23 October 2018

Litherland

I set off on a very blustery day and two trains took me to Seaforth & Litherland station.  I've done a few trips to Seaforth in the last year, so today I headed for the other side of the tracks.

The first pub on today's list was the Red Lion, which looked shut, but I could see TVs and fruit machines lit up inside.  I decided to save it for the end of the survey, see below.

I walked past Buckley's, now the Masonic Hall:
... and the Priory which has been replaced by housing.

On to my first important target, the Kirkstone.  I was somewhat disappointed to find it has been demolished before I had a chance to tick it:

On to the large roadhouse that is the Netherton, a standard Greene King Hungry Horse food-led pub in a large roadhouse:
Four hand pumps on the counter, with four clips, but only the IPA was actually available, and that was well past its best, I'm afraid, and it got worse as I worked my way through it.

Inside the standard pleasant open room were some late lunchers and one or two drinkers, the place was gently ticking over but the staff were hardly stretched on a windy grey Tuesday afternoon.

I walked to the Stand Park, only to find it has been replaced by new housing, another one escaped before I could visit it.  So, on to Cookson's Bridge, located on the canal:
My notes from 2003 say nicely done out and kept clean and tidy, and there isn't really much to add to that, except perhaps to add a "very" or two.  It really is a beautifully kept large open room, the restrained decor very pleasant.

Three handpumps on the counter, just one clip - Wainwright - but after the Netherton I didn't fancy it, so I had a Guinness.  (No real ale was pulled during my stay so I was probably right.)  The pie warmer at the end of the counter would have been tempting but it was empty.

Just a few regulars chatting, otherwise the place was pretty deserted.

The friendly barmaid was on the phone as she served me, talking to the landlady who apparently watches the CCTV when she's not there.  "Best behaviour then," I said, she commented that it's good to know someone's watching when you're working alone.  Later, she nipped out for a smoke break, first asking everyone in place if they wanted serving.

My next destination was the Liverpool Arms which I already knew was closed.  It too has been demolished:
Here it is back in 2003:

Then, the Jubilee.  Would it be standing? Would it be open?  YES:
This rather fine 1930s (?) construction seems to have retained its original layout with four or five rooms around the servery, with a counter in each one.  I walked through a number of deserted rooms, eventually finding one with three customers and a barmaid.  I'd seen some handpumps on my tour but no clips, so I stuck to Guinness again.

The interior was well done and carefully looked after, but I couldn't spot much original, apart from the layout.  The counter front in the room in which I settled definitely wasn't, but it looked like it might be in the original location.

Back towards the station, now, and the Red Lion:
It still looked closed but as I approached, a woman headed for the door and went in.  Yes!

Inside the narrow door I found one small room, just a tiny part of the whole building, busy with lively customers.

I was soon equipped with my usual black stuff, and sitting on a slightly threadbare bench seat, taking in the hive of activity in this friendly lively boozer, so rare to find this amount of activity nowadays, especially on a Tuesday!  Two bar staff were needed to keep everyone in drink.  The music was pretty much drowned out by chatter and laughter.

It was pretty cold in here, they had lit the fire but no-one had fed it any coal so apart from the occasional crack of the kindling it wasn't actually contributing much to the room, and it soon died down.

I noticed a bowl of nuts on the counter, but I thought it might be too risky.  Fussy, me?  Yes.

Pub of the day: The Red Lion, because it was so unexpectedly busy, lively and happy!
Miles Walked: 5.5
Maybe coming soon: Edge Hill, Bebington.

No comments:

Post a Comment