Saturday 24 March 2018

Up The Junction Again

On a grey Saturday afternoon I headed to St Helens Junction station, and I started my researches in the Junction Inn:

I entered the bar side, where a darts match was in progress, so I carried my Guinness through to the peaceful lounge.  The plain decor is well done in both rooms and the whole place has a comfortable friendly atmosphere.  The barmaid chatted with some friends at the counter while I relaxed on a long bench seat.

Lights, large speakers and a DJ desk suggest it'll be a lot more lively later.

As I enjoyed my drink I noticed the darts players were very quiet, I could hear no noise from the other room.  On departure I found they'd all gone.

Next I headed to the strangely named SIDAC Club, but the car park was full of cement trucks and builders so I suspect I might be too late.

On to the Wheatsheaf:
This wonderful pub, opened in 1938, is Grade II listed as a well preserved example of "Brewers' Tudor" .

Inside, a lot of the original layout has been preserved, and there's no way from the "lounge" area to the "bar" area except via the car park.  A long narrow servery runs through, and some rooms are served only via hatches.  Sadly at two on a Saturday afternoon it was very quiet.  The floors are rather wonky in some parts, due to mining subsidence.

Next, the Millhouse:
Inside this old building the decor has been substantially modernised since my last visit when I wrote "traditional decor", creating a pleasant modern-styled two sided pub.  Like the last place, it was fairly empty.  The chef seemed to be sitting at the bar, suggesting there isn't much food trade at this time of day.

The soundscape here was quiet chit-chat, gentle background music, and the clack of pool balls from the bar side, as I drank a pint of Theakston's Lightfoot which seemed a little past its best, I think.

Finally, a little further down the road is the Bull & Dog:
Here I selected a pint of Doom Bar from the choice of three handpumps.  Not the most exciting of real ales, perhaps, but it was in good nick and I enjoyed it.

The inside of this enormous pub is knocked through but retains different areas.  The custom seemed to be mainly drinkers but with a few people eating.  The food smelled good, I must say!

I was interested to note a sign "MINIMUM CARD SPEND £10"; clearly the cashless economy hasn't reached here yet.  If Wetherspoon's can manage it, why can't they?

My stay was enlivened by a sudden crisis where a leak upstairs was coming through the ceiling, requiring buckets and mops to keep that end of the room operational.  The staff handled the flap with aplomb, although customers at the bar may have experienced a short delay getting served.

Coming soon: Innuendo in Seaforth.

No comments:

Post a Comment