Monday 7 April 2014

Earlestown

A trip to Earlestown on Saturday afforded me the opportunity to check out a couple of pubs I haven't tried since 2003.

The Newmarket is located on the corner of the market.  Most of the pub was closed, for redecoration, with just the front bar open, so all the tables were occupied and I had to stand in a corner and perch my pint on the window sill.  No real ale, unfortunately.  The dark panelled room was quiet except for background conversation.

Next, into the Rams Head.  Another pub retaining the classic layout with the 'posh' side served from the bar back, in this case through two bay-window-shaped hatches.  There's some rather fine green tilework in the corridor and the lounge.  The bar side, where I sat, is much plainer but still well cared for.  No real ale so Guinness was the order of the day.  Again, quiet conversation filled the room, as the regulars discussed the Grand National and participated in the pub's sweep.

Am I allowed to grumble about the lack of an apostrophe in the pubs name, or am I wasting my time?  Mind you, after that ugly double-hyphenation in the previous paragraph I've no room to talk!

Anyway, time to go home, noting that the Railway by the station is closed.

No comments:

Post a Comment