Thursday 9 December 2010

A Couple in Town

Blood donors again, so I surveyed a couple of pubs, starting with the William Gladstone on North John Street. I'm fairly sure this used to be the Hogshead or was that on the other corner, now Slug and Lettuce? Anyway, I haven't visited under this name. A busy popular food-oriented two floor place, nicely decorated especially the chandeliers. Three hand pumps on the bar, including one of the weird Bombardier ones that confused me in Rainhill yesterday. Unfortunately "No real ale, we're waiting for a delivery" so it was my favourite fallback, a pint of Guinness.

After a bit of shopping I headed for the New Penny Farthing. I haven't been in here since 2002, and after quite a long period of closure this year it has re-opened basically unchanged except for a new carpet and a new coat of paint. The clientele were just as 'liveley' as before.

No comments:

Post a Comment